General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fuel, keep blowing the #1 fuse!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, kind of nice to see him back, even if it is a quick visit......

Sorry OP, back to the issue. Yes please do as desert suggested, I was leaning towards the alt (WHT wire I think) as well. and it would be the biggest draw on the circut, at least that I can see.

If it does turn out to be something with the alt, I've got a few tips on how to change this without pulling the cv shaft, as the book says to do.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes, kind of nice to see him back, even if it is a quick visit......

Sorry OP, back to the issue. Yes please do as desert suggested, I was leaning towards the alt (WHT wire I think) as well. and it would be the biggest draw on the circut, at least that I can see.

If it does turn out to be something with the alt, I've got a few tips on how to change this without pulling the cv shaft, as the book says to do.
Hey poorman, sorry it took me awhile to respond. I removed the plug connector from the alternator and noticed that the white wire was almost in contact with the support that goes from the block to the intake manifold so I moved it and now no blown fuses yet!!! I'll reconnect the plug and let you guys know!

Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Might put something around that wire/harness.....wire loom, tape, twist the plug 360*..to see if it gets away from the support....if the fuse was blowing then the wire casing has worn,,,,you'll want to take care of that.

Good to see you making progress, and thanks for the update-sometimes we never know what worked.

Yes, I kind of like the 3rd gens......got four myself.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well the damned fuse blew again! I was adjusting the timing when all of a sudden the engine died and didn't want to restart. I was thinking about disconnecting the altenator again to and taking it for a short spin ( with a few extra 15amp fuses!) to see if driving can duplicate the problem. I can'tmake heads or tails of the diagrams/schematics in the Haynes or the online FSM. Does anyone know what else might be tied into the #1 fuse (under dash) that might be causing the fuse to blow??

For what it's worth, this time the fuse didn't blow for 2-3 days of on and off testing??

Thanks!!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

In my first response, I wasn't making that up. That is a somewhat complete list of what is powered by the #1 fuse....I and maybe another, was thinking about the white wire to the alt...been a while since I've been under one of my 3rd gens, make the kids work on them since they drive them,,,,,,,the wire harness runs along the underside of the intake, there is a point at which one of the brackets to the intake gets "real close" to that harness.....check to be sure it isn't grounding......if not sure, put something around that point, again going on memory, and see if that slows the fuse blowing....let me know if you need anything, might be this weekend before I can crawl under one, pretty sure one needs an oil change-free one for one of the kids- and I can re-fresh my memory on the harness.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
In my first response, I wasn't making that up. That is a somewhat complete list of what is powered by the #1 fuse....I and maybe another, was thinking about the white wire to the alt...been a while since I've been under one of my 3rd gens, make the kids work on them since they drive them,,,,,,,the wire harness runs along the underside of the intake, there is a point at which one of the brackets to the intake gets "real close" to that harness.....check to be sure it isn't grounding......if not sure, put something around that point, again going on memory, and see if that slows the fuse blowing....let me know if you need anything, might be this weekend before I can crawl under one, pretty sure one needs an oil change-free one for one of the kids- and I can re-fresh my memory on the harness.
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you made up your list it's just that after your post you said you were referring to the under hood #1 fuse when I was talking about the under dash #1. I didn't know if the same statement still applied. I'll check it out more and let you know if I'm still having troubles.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, no problems....I corrected myself in post #7, had the circut right, just the wrong fuse panel......I'll go and edit that post now.