General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Default No Heat

Hey Folks, so I don't have any heat in my 93 Accord ex. I looked under the hood and found that the wire coming out of the firewall connecting to a leaver is not moving and making hot air flow. I can move it manually and have heat but it will not move all the way back and forth on it's own. Radiator fluid flows through this device and had been bypassed, so the hoses were just hooked up to each other not to this device. I reconnected the hoses to see if that would do anything and it did not. I still have no heat but everything is at least where it is supposed to be.

My question(s) is this...
1. Does the fluid running through the leaver that the wire is hooked up to help move what needs to move in order to have heat in the car?
2. Why might someone have bypassed this?
3. Is all I need to do is replace this leaver and that will get me the results I seek?
4. If not, what steps do I need to take to find out what the actual problem is? (Please don't tell me I have to take off my dash, I've done that before and it is not fun.)

Any help would be appreciated. I feel that there is a fairly simple answer I'm just not aware of. Thanks everyone!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Please do not post help questions in the DIY section, per the forum rules.

I moved your thread to the general tech help section.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Well bypassing it may have been for other work that could have been done on the car. Maybe the heater core was leaking and this was an easy fix?

But I would just take off the plastic panel that has the heater control attached and check to see that when you turn the temp adjustment see that it pulls or pushes the cable. Also have another person turn it and check under the hood and take a look at the valve and cable on that end.

You can try pulling on the cable to see if its broken, rusted through.

I had the same problem with my car and it turned out the **** and gear controlling it was broken. Cheap plastic piece. I just went to a junkyard and got a new one.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Frequently the plastic **** that controls heat level will strip where it engages the stem that drives the push/pull wire. A new **** is available on ebay, amazon, etc for around $10.

good luck