General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark, No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Default No Spark, No Fuel

Ive searched through forums looking for a similar issue and havent found an answer that leads me in the right direction. A little about me, im a VW and Chrysler Master tech that works in a small family run shop that caters to Chrysler for the most part, i usually keep a project in the shop to keep me busy.

That leads to why im here, Ive got a 1994 Honda Accord LX automatic with 176k miles on it, the car came to me running, and was running petty decent considering it had a horriable slapping noise which we later found out was caused by a sticking valve that was allowing the rocker arm to slam back down on the the camshaft. I investigated a little more and found that the timing belt and water pump had just been replaced, upon further inspection I found pieces of the belt in the timing cover and started to pull the head. The machine shop found all 16 valves bent, they replaced them, i cleaned the block up and commenced reassembly, this all took place over about a months period. I did drive this car into the shop.

Now comes the problem, i got the car buttoned back up and went to start it and it wont fire. Ive got no spark and ive got no fuel. Theres very very weak signal to the fuel pump, almost nothing to speak of. The check engine light will not come on when the key is initially bumped to the on position and i only have about 1 to 1.5 volts when testing the harness end of the main relay, on the harness end i have 12 volts between number 1 and 2 positions, im officially stumped before i start throwing parts at the car was looking for some input from someone who works with them on a more regular basis

Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

One common thing to forget is a bundle of ground wires bolted to the thermostat housing. That'll be grounds for the ECU, injectors, etc...

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i am having a similar problem which i have posted on a thread but i was wondering about your post above jimblake? What ground wires are you refering to because i have a 96 accord but i havent seen these wires?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if they moved those grounds when the wiring harnesses changed for OBD-2? Grounds were different on my 98 Accord, so I don't know when they changed.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 PM

I dont recall there being that big bundle but i will def check that when i get to the shop in the morning. It makes sense by all means

Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I agree.. It sounds like a ground problem to me. I would definitely check for that first.