General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Noisy Power Steering Pump- 2007 Honda Accord

Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Default Noisy Power Steering Pump- 2007 Honda Accord

My 2007 Honda Accord has been having a noisy power steering pump for the last 8 months. I would have changed the power steering pump however the noise only occurs in the morning- especially when its cold. I live in Southern California so its really never that cold (mid 40’s). Once I drive the car for a few miles the noise completely goes away (especially after driving high speed). Lately, the pump is making the noise every morning.

Immediately after the noise started I had the power steering fluid flushed and system bleed for air pockets. 2 months ago the dealer changed the return line on the system because of a recall on the power steering system. Still the noise continues! I noticed the power steering fluid looks a little frothy when the car is running. Don’t know if this is normal. Car has about 150k miles.

Can someone please advise me if I should change the power steering pump? Or have the fluid flushed again. Any ideas what might be causing the noise? The last time I flushed the system it only stop the noise for about a month. This is driving me crazy when I leave the house in the morning. Especially in front of the neighbors.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this a V6 or IL4 engine?

PS pump is usually not the cause of this problem. It's a leaking oring on suction hose inlet fitting to the pump. Takes about 1/2 hr to fix. Your honda dealer should know this.

They always want to replace pump to fix this since pump is several hundred dollars compared to oring at $1.50.

good luck