General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

non-working speedometer with odd sounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Default non-working speedometer with odd sounds

Hello everybody. Got some weird things happening to my car. I'll give you guys the symptoms: First, the speedometer works up to 20mph and that's it. Any speed under this range and it works. Occasionally, it will register the correct mph but only after it has warmed up. Second, I've got an odd sound coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment (maybe wheel well area). The best way I can describe it is the sound you hear when you try and crank a car when it is already on but not as loud. This usually occurs when I am coming to a stop. I've never heard this sound before so I have no clue as to what it may be. Sorry for the vague symptoms but that's the best I can do. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Default RE: non-working speedometer with odd sounds

it sounds like it's your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) it would cause your speedo to be funky AND it's located on that side of the car as a rotating component on top of the tranny so it could make that noise. Option 1: Remove it, disassemble, clean it then grease it and re-install it and see if that fixes your problem Option 2: buy a new one (around $130.00 I believe) and just replace it should fix both problems at once Let us know your Year/Model/Trim/Tranny for future questions (put it in your signature)

Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: non-working speedometer with odd sounds

take the wheel off and inspect everything on that side. Do you have CEL on when your speedo is not working?