General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change indicator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Default Oil change indicator question

Hello

I have question about the Oil Change Indicator. I have 2008 Accord Sedan.

How does the oil change indicator work ? I mean is there any "intelligence" built into that check the condition of oil? or does it just checks by mileage the car has run?

Thanks
SD

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shortduck
Hello

I have question about the Oil Change Indicator. I have 2008 Accord Sedan.

How does the oil change indicator work ? I mean is there any "intelligence" built into that check the condition of oil? or does it just checks by mileage the car has run?

Thanks
SD
yes, the computer uses an algorithm based on how you drive and engine conditions. it doesn't actually "check" the oil condition. Honda uses interval based maintenance, so you'll see and "A" or "B" popup as well. if you have an owners manual, it's explained in more detail there.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM

So, does this mean that having full synthetic oil is of little use. I should use blend always?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

no, you can use full synthetic. you just have to change it based on mileage. don't use the oil life indicator as it is programmed to determine the life of conventional oil/factory oil.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yup. This system works very similar to the ones found in GM cars, my Pontiac had it, the last two Cadillacs my pops has owned, had it. It's all based on how you drive for the most part. My Pontiac simply had a "change oil" light appear when it was due, the Caddys had the oil life percentage show.

I'd say they're pretty accurate IF you're using conventional oil.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
no, you can use full synthetic. you just have to change it based on mileage. don't use the oil life indicator as it is programmed to determine the life of conventional oil/factory oil.
Drivability, This is regarding 3000 mile - oil change thing.

Pardon me you are indeed more knowledgeable than me. But something tell me that I should trust engineers that have made the engine and oil change indicator, than anyone else. I mean why should I trust if a person working in oil changing shop to change oil after every 3K miles and his advice can be biased since he is into oil changing business.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Pardon me you are indeed more knowledgeable than me. But something tell me that I should trust engineers that have made the engine and oil change indicator, than anyone else. I mean why should I trust if a person working in oil changing shop to change oil after every 3K miles and his advice can be biased since he is into oil changing business.

Thanks
that's absolutely correct, if you USE the oil spec'd for the engine. if you use a different oil, the whole formula goes out the window.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks
I think what folks are trying to tell you is that if you use the recommended conventional oil, change it according to the Oil Life Monitor built into your car; if you use synthetic oil, you can run the oil rather longer. Were I in your shoes I'd run say 50% past what the OLM says and then change it, and then take a small sample of the used oil and send it out for analysis. The results will most likely come back showing the oil was still good for a few thousand more miles.