General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Default oil leak

hey guys i have a oil leak just below the vlave cover at the bottom of the top timing cover, i thought it was the valve cover gasket but i replaced it but know i can see where it's coming from excatly, could it be where the head is sitting on the block, can i torque down the cylinder head bolts in this area and c if it stops.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: oil leak

Don't mess w/ the cylinder head bolts (perhaps you meant valve cover?). If you meant valve cover, they can easily be overtorqued. Leak could be the camshaft seal allowing oil to get into the timing belt area. I think it unlikely the oil leak is from the cylinder head, but tightening cylinder head bolts can cause all sorts of problems and is unlikely to stop a leak, even if the head gasket is the source of the leak.

Did you seal the 90-deg corners either side of the camshaft bearing housing w/ sealant as recommended? I've never had a leak there, but apparently there is a problem w/ sealing those corners if no sealant is applied.

good luck

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 AM

no its not coming from the coners, i think its coming from where the head sits on the block, or maybe just a small crack in the head, is there any type of selant i can apply to fix this external leak? or maybe use a tig welder?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I seem to remember a TSB about leaks in the engine block on the front side behind the exhaust manifold. Check TSB listing for help.

I'm not aware of any way to seal a leaking/cracked cylinder head. I would suggest cleaning throughly and attempting to track to the source to be sure it's coming from under the head or directly from the head. If it is, the cylinder head and leak is too large to live with, you'll have to remove the head, have head inspected for cracks or replace head, and re-install head. A used head is inexpensive (check car-part.com for parts near you). Cylinder head job isw/i capability of a experienced diy'r.

good luck

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 AM

it's close to the end of the exhaust manifold not behind it. the leak is not big at all it only leaks if i increase the rpm. does the head goes below the exhaust manifold, if so then it cant be leaking from the headgasket becuase its leaking just above the exhaust manifold.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure where the leak is at by your description. Is it near the timing belt cover?

Did you take off the timing belt cover to see if the camshaft seal is leaking oil?

Old 09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

The headgasket is below the exhaust manifold, so that isn't it.

How about the first camshaft bearing cap? There's a leak path underneath the cap, where it's bolted to the head. That's supposed to have sealant. Then a little bit of sealant right on the sharp corners of the valvecover gasket where it goes over that cam cap.