General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 PM
disramirez
Unregistered
Default Oil Leak

About a year ago, I started to notice a burned oil smell, it is really only noticeable when I stop the car, or if I have the "vent" on the the air conditioner on. Then when I changed my oil on the Accord, by the way it is a '92, I saw where the exhaust pipe just under where the Oil Filter is was caked with oil. I talked to a mechanic friend, who told me that there is a O-Ring on the distributor, and if that goes bad, that the oil travels to the back of the motor and drops on the exhaust pipe. Is that true? Also, how hard would that be to fix. I am a average mechanic, I mean, I put plugs and wires on the car and I obviously change the oil. That is the extent of my mechanical ability.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

If the o-ring was leaking on the distributor, you should see oil underneath it on the cylinder head/engine block.

If the oil filter is caked with oil, remove the oil filter. Make sure that the old oil filter gasket didn't stick on there. Clean everything up.

Another possibility is that the oil pressure sending unit is leaking. That is somewhat common problem. It is bolted above the oil filter. It has one wire going to it with a rubber boot. If you pull the boot and find oil in it, replace the sending unit. You need to lightly coat the threads of the new sending unit with HondaBond (RTV grey).

Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
disramirez
Unregistered

In an earlier post that I did, I also have a speedsensor problem, when the sensor was being replaced, the mechanic replacing the sensor, ran his finger below the distributor, and on the block where you said, and there was oil there. So if it is leaking from there how hard is it to take off the distributor, i have had the cap off to replace it and the rotor, how hard is it to fix this problem.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
disramirez
Unregistered

Also, the exhaust pipe is what is caked with the oil, right below where the oil filter is.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty easy to take the distributor off, 3 bolts, then the O-ring is #6 inside a groove.

Mark it carefully, so you can put it back in exactly the same position. Or better yet, get a timing light & use that.

It seems like oil leaking from the distributor would run down onto the tranny, not onto the exhaust pipe. You might have more than one leak?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

to be honest with you i have never seen a distr o-ring leak and oil goes all over the frt exh pipe , it usually runs along side the tranny ,,
beside the distr o-ring you might want to look for other leaks.. oil pressure sending unit.???...oil filter lower base seal ?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
disramirez
Unregistered

I understand what you are telling me, a mechanic, and I was watching him, showed me oil underneath where the distributor is, so how would i check if there is another leak, i really cant see behind the motor because of the firewall.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by disramirez
I understand what you are telling me, a mechanic, and I was watching him, showed me oil underneath where the distributor is, so how would i check if there is another leak, i really cant see behind the motor because of the firewall.
Inspection mirror ??
or get your wifes compact make up kit and tape it onto a stick.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well,,, i guess fix the leak that you know for sure,, clean the engine bay especially below the distr , drive the car and see if other leaks will show up ..or have a shop put car on a lift and have them chk for oil leak from under the car , usually they should not charge just to chk for the leak

Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Agree...
Fix the leak that you KNOW about, clean it up & look for more.
I'd drive up on ramps, then look from underneath. The intake manifold blocks your view from above.

The oil pressure switch is right above the oil filter; you can reach up from underneath to feel if there's any oil coming from that. It can either leak from the threads where it screws into the block, or more likely it can leak THROUGH the middle of the switch itself.