General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Default Oil Pan Gasket

I see some oil on the ground towards the middle of the car where the driverside seat is. I think I need a new oil pan gasket. I am also planning to do the work myself.
has any one one done this? How difficult is it.
I have a 94 accord.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil Pan Gasket

its real easy if that is your problem.... it could also be the seal for the oil filter housing though....to take of the pan just remove the exhaust down pipe. there are three bolts holding it to the manifold and three nuts that hold it to the cat. then take off the pan. you need to put HONDABOND on the pan to make sure that it gets sealed correctly. hondabond can be purchased at your local honda dealer. the pans usually dont leak so i would make sure that its the pan, because that honda bond is some serious stuff. it will seal up anything. maybe the filter just isnt on tight and it could be leaking.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 PM

if this is the oil filter seal, how do I fix that? Is it an easy fix?

Old 02-19-2006, 10:38 PM

Lightshow has a good point.....it could be SEVERAL things. Get beneath the car and try to find out where the leak is coming from first, then you'll have a better idea of what to do/what parts are needed, etc. While you're down there looking, tighten up the oil pan bolts......they might just have loosened some. I had a '96 Mazda 626 V-6 and was told I needed all kinds of gaskets to stop an oil leak. The pan bolts were loose, once I tightened them it never leaked again. It's worth a shot, right????

Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 AM

Your gonna want to torque the bolts to spec. If you just go and start tightening the bolts down as hard as you can, you could end up breaking the gasket. The gaskets is made up of really small passages (i think) and if you over tighten them you will break them and cause leaks. Anything that has a gasket on it should be torqued to spec, in fact everything should be torqued to spec.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:08 PM

there actually shouldnt be a gasket on your oil pan.....its just a layer of hondabond. but....its not the oil filter seal.....its the oil filter housing seal...the thing that you actually screw the oil filter on to....redoing the seal isnt hard but its a tight fit trying to get the bolts out. dry everything up....then jack it back up a few hours later and try to find exactly where the leak iscoming from.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:02 PM

ok, thanks everybody for your inputs.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 AM

Actually, there is an oil pan gasket according to this diagram.

That particular image is off a 94 Accord without a VTEC engine. I looked up the VTEC engine and it also has the gasket. They are both 4 cylinder engines.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 PM

couple of quick things,,

# 1 ,,94 accord does have a oil pan gasket

# 2,, DO NOT i repeat DO NOT put honda bond all over the gsket,, the only places you want to put a slight film is at the curved corner and the side opposite to it,, and put it on both side of the gasket,,
if you use too much honda bond , or use it all over the gasket, when you tighten it up , it will squish all over , making the gasket strech , thus it will leak,

What i have found that works great is , i spray the block with some 3m trim adhesive, again put honda bond before i stick the gasket up in the block,lining up all the holes, then i put a bit of honda bond on the oil pan itself, again only on the curved side and right across from it on the small straigh edge,, , install oil pan,
Do not overtighten pan bolts,,