General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 PM
JakeB
Unregistered
Default Oil trouble?

I'm not sure if I am paranoid now or what, but today after changing the tranny fluid and degreasing the engine I noticed that the radiator fan seemed to be running more than normal. Then, after driving down the road for about 5 minutes, I noticed the oil pressure lightjust barelyflicker a couple times then it came on, I immediately turned off the engine and stopped. After checking the oil, it looked fine (a little dark but I'm about 2100 miles from my last oil change), I started the car again and the light didn't come back on so I drove home, (another5 minutes) andthe light stayed off. I just went out and checked it again and the oil smells a little burnt in the valve cover, but my temp gaugehas never gottenout of the normal range, never even a little high.

So I have developed a couple theories;
1. The engine has 168,000 miles and the PO didn't change oil on time, so inside the valve cover will always smell a little burnt, and degreasing got some water in the oil pressure switch contacts.
2. The degreaser got into the oil somehow and made it smell burnt, and the oil pressure switch got some water in it, or possibly a problem with the oil pump.

I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and check the oil pressure switch tosee where that gets me, but if anybody has any other ideas they would help out a lot.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Oil trouble?

Sounds like you are hot on the right trail. Others have had problems w/ the oil pressure switch failing. A search for oil pressure may uncover some helpful information. Search DIY section also.

Both cooling fans should be running, not one. If one is not running, it is likely defective and never runs. Sometimes fans will have intermittent operation due to worn brushes, but still require replacement.

good luck