General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Default Which one?

I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX-ULEV VTEC and I got an air breather filter to prevent the carbon emmisions from going back into my intake and I am not sure where to put it...Do I replace the PCV valve or the breather Hose??

Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Which one?

It is supposed to replace the breather hose. Realize that you are eliminating the PCV function by not having suction on the cylinder head. Your mini-me filter is more likely to hold the oil in the valve cover gasket than filter any air going into there. IMO, it's not a good idea to partially eliminate things. You'd be better off pulling the PCV valve and plugging the hole, but I wouldn't recommend that either.

EDIT: I just re-read your post ..... carbon emissions??? From the valve cover???? There's not really any exhaust in there ..... probably traces, but it's basically hot oil-laden air in there.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Default RE: Which one?

Ok so it looks like I was a littlemislead by the instructions originally given to me (that is what learning is about I guess). You say that it is used to replace the Breather hose. In this case, you must be suggesting that, if used, I should put it where the breather hose connects to the intake manifold (i can see why...B/C this would allow for cleaner air to be taken into the throttle housing which would allow a lesser carbon build-up in the throttle plate) and the plug where the hose went into my valve cover...This seems like this is what I need but I have one minor issue...there is not quite enough space...any ideas?