General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Akkord 03
Unregistered
Exclamation Overheated Engine

Hi, I need some help...

I drive an Accord 03 3L V6 and it has 160 thousand km on it.
The car was due for a maintenance check and It needed a water pump and timing belt replacement.

Before I got the chance to get things fixed the temperature of the engine start rising. I shut down the ignition while the car still rolling. The temperature seemed to cool down, I had a couple of kilometers before getting to my destination. At one point the temperature began rising too high and I stopped the car and waited for it too cool down. I added oil because it was too low, the antifreeze seemed to be at the right level, however there was antifreeze leaks all over. The upper hose of the radiator was hot, the radiator itself and lower hose was cold...

The next day I brought the car to a garage, at that time I was hoping the engine has not overheated. I asked them to make a engine compression test and told them that the engine temperature raised significantly. I also told them that I needed to replace the timing belt and water pomp.

The mechanic changed the the water pump and the timing belt and only after was able to tell that there was a leak from the engine.

my question is, was it possible for the mechanic to find out the existing problems with the engine before undergoing the labor work by doing the compression test or any other?

I now also need to replace the engine, however I never dealt with such problem before, should I install the OEM or it worth opting for an upgrade?

Although I found a Japanese engine with 30 000 km for 1100 installation included, it sound like a good deal to me. What should I consider before making my choice?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The mechanic may have found the leak with cooling system pressure checker but I am not sure from your post what the mechanic was told to do. Telling a garage to check to see what damaged has occurred as my engine overheated is not the same as my engine overheated and I need a water pump and timing belt.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Cooling system leaks can be found with a pressure tester - doesn't require cranking the engine.

But if the mechanic thought the timing belt had broken or even slipped, he would have known that performing a compression test without the belt can cause more damage.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM

this is a bit confusing..........why does it need an engine ?? where is the leak at ??

Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Akkord 03
Unregistered

I guess it was my fault to pin point in the wrong direction, I should have told the mechanic to diagnose the whole system before asking to make any reparation.

However the mechanic before changing the timing belt made sure it was still in place by making the rotation manually. Once everything assembled he started the engine, and discovered a leak of antifreeze from the engine. I haven't seen the car yet so I can't tell precisely from where, but apparently its leaking well. The Mechanic told me that there is a great chance the engine overheated significantly and possibility is that the engine parts would require a costly fix.
I was told that I have two options either install a new engine or fix the current one
which might end up more costly.
I am not sure what to do?

I was looking to install an engine imported from Japan with 30 000km on it, but I heard different opinions on them.
Or the other option I found for similar price, a Canadian engine with 120 000km and 3 month guarantee
which is better?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your concern

Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Akkord 03
I haven't seen the car yet so I can't tell precisely from where, but apparently its leaking well. The Mechanic told me that there is a great chance the engine overheated significantly and possibility is that the engine parts would require a costly fix.
I was told that I have two options either install a new engine or fix the current one
which might end up more costly.
I am not sure what to do?
you need to find out where the leak is at ..........
he told you there is a great chance engine overheated and possibly requires a costly fix ????????? He does not even know for sure yet ??? and already told you that you need an engine ???? mmmmmmmmmm i am wondering about this guy ....

First of all...........find out what is leaking and how much would it take to fix the leak ..

once you find out . post it here ........Do not even think about replacing the engine till you know exactly what is going on ..