General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating or Ignition???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Default Overheating or Ignition???

91 accord lx, 273k, five speed four door F22A1 Motor

Will crank and run fine for about 10 mins, then when it seems like its up to temp it cuts off, the check engine light comes on along with the battery light and the oil light, and wont turn on again till it gets time to cool. I flushed the coolant out and replaced it with new good clean stuff. The oil is brand new as well. What else could be wrong?

The top radiator tube is hot so I dont think its the thermostat thats not opening up, my water pump does turn and doesnt make any grinding sounds or anything? Could it be the pump, the pulley isnt slipping or doesnt seem so, could it be kinda working? I figure a pump either pumps or doesnt. Do those "miracle liquids" that state they lower the temp of the coolant work?

Could it be the ignition system? I was told by a buddy that i need to change out the "igniter", however when i look in the manual there is nothing listed as the igniter. Because I heard that if the ignition system gets too hot it will not work properly, Any suggestions would be great

Old 08-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When it stops running I would suggest checking for spark. The only temperature device that stands out is the coolant temp input for the computer. Is yours fuel injected? My 1990 was still carbureted and I don’t know when the last carbureted Accord was. The temp sensor usually makes the engine rapidly hunt at a certain point in warm up and only know this from having to bleed the cooling system after a repair or flush.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM

its fuel injected, could it be the pump? I figure the pump would not cut out after ten mins, it would either work or not work? Im very perplexed on this one? Where is the temp sensor located at? Or the Coolant Temp input for the computer? are those easily replaced?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 AM

Woooo ..slow down there my friend..let;s diagnose the issue properly

A couple of things..first off, to properly chk the t-stat you got to feel the lower radiator hose,,it has to feel almost as hot as the top hose, if it feels cool or slightly warm t-stat is not operating properly ,,( when you say car is up to temp ),, where is the needle on the gauge at ?? does car overheat??
when car does not want to start you got to determine if it is because lack of fuel or spark
anything electrical could fail once it heats up...( coil, igniter, fuel pump ),,your issue sounds like a faulty igniter , but you need to diagnose first to make sure ..

http://www.techautorepairs.com/mainrelaydefine.html

the link above is a very good trouble shooting source ...click on troubleshoot, scroll all the way to the top and on the left upper you will see some troubleshooting tips ..click on ( home, under repair guide ) ....also chk for any stored codes ..

And kris ,, where did you buy your 90 honda at?? last year accord carburated was 1989..dx lx .. starting 1990 all accords were injected, at least here in the USA

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-29-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

"pr1286" - I replied to your post on the "other" site.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Problem fixed for now, I have a broken 96 accord so I switched out the ICM and then got a new ignition coil, all this did was double the time it took for it to shut off.

Then I went to look at the main relay assembly, and for some reason the one that came with the car was not being used, one from a 97-2002 was in it, so I just plugged in the one from the 96 which happens to work for the 91, its the same part, and it ran great, I let it idle for 45 mins and it never shut off, then drove it around about 15 mins and still ran fine.

The only thing it does is it sometimes doesn't want to start. I'll put it in gear and let it roll like if i was trying to jump start it (five speed), and then it will start again fine using the key, its like the motor just needed to move to get it to start, any thoughts?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Deserthonda:
I got it from the dealership I worked at in Michigan. I got it at around August 1990, when the next year models were coming out. It was a white two door DX. The only new car I ever purchased new and the only car I ever totaled. I drive my wife’s hand me downs.

pr1286:
I am glad you didn’t get struck in the cooling system route of troubleshooting.