General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Valve cover on 98 VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Default Painting Valve cover on 98 VTEC?

SO the title basically says it all.I want to Paint my Valve Cover a diff. Color... Questions: What is the best paint to use and where can I find it? My Haynes Manual says nothing about using a torque wrench to put the cover back on (do I need to use one or is it just tighten it up and call it good)? Is there a certain Temperature rating of Paint that I need? How many coats should I use? Should I sand a little before application or is application assisted by the intense heat? Please Help. This gray color is really starting to bore me.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Painting Valve cover on 98 VTEC?

Here's a guide that I used to paint mine a few weeks ago.

http://upnorthimports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3043

Really, the paint doesn't matter as long as it's High Temp Paint. I went with Wrinkle paint to give it more of a crinkle effect, the texture you can see and feel.

Also, use Chapstick to cover the logos and such. It makes removing the paint so much easier, less scraping and sanding needed.

I spent two hours for the whole process.

Also on the Torque Wrench, use it. Set it to 14lbs of pressure. Otherwise, if you don't have access to the wrench just tighten it SNUG, not tight but enough where you can keep going but shouldn't. You will break the acorn stud otherwise, and that's not fun to fix as you have to disassemble the top of the head to drill the stud out, and buy a new stud.