General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Passenger Side Windshield Wiper is not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Default Passenger Side Windshield Wiper is not working

Hello there-

Let me start by saying that I am a car idiot, so I am attempting to figure something out on my own without spending a crazy amount of money on a Honda diagnosis if it's not necessary... any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2003 honda accord that has a passenger side wiper that is not working. All of the sudden, just stopped. I googled it and came up with a recall that sounds similar with 2003 accords, but mine is not part of the recall. And it says that it effects the motor, and after talking to someone at Honda it sounded like if it was the motor it would effect both wipers.

Some back history that based on some of what I read from online might help diagnose it. The night before I realized this wasnt working I washed my car, that night we had a light freeze... some posts were suggesting something with ice, or the motor getting wet.

Any help with where to start would be appreciated. I work at a high school with an auto class so I might be able to even show the teacher some of your ideas to see if he could trouble shoot it a little more.

Thanks for your time, it's supposed to rain tomorrow and I only have one wiper that works... on my way out to get some rain x... hopefully that works.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Not good with that gen, make sure the "nut" that holds the arm to the stud is tight. If so then make sure the stud turns, remove wiper arm. If not and the left/drivers side works, has to be in the wiper transmission....again going from older gen's...sorry.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

There's only one motor, but I think it drives the passenger wiper first. Then a linkage drives the drivers side.

First, check whether the arm is fastened down to the shaft. Take off the cover #23 & check the nut #25. The arm has to be tightened down to the tapered shaft. With it turned off, position the arm in the parked position & tighten the nut.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Thank you both for your reply.

For JimBlake-
I think I tried something similar to this while in the parking lot at PepBoys. I took the cover off and it looked like the nut was attached into the cap... and then it threads onto the piece that was attached to the arm of the wiper. Does this sound correct? I tried tightening it by putting the cap with the nut inside back on and turning it. It didn't seem to make a difference b/c it still is not working. I may not have done everything correctly though. The guys at Pepboys said that they thought it might be the linkage just from taking a look at it in the parking lot, but they said I have to get the linkage from the dealership. I have no clue if that is correct though.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

See if you can swing the wiper arm back & forth; that would indicate that it IS loose.

The cap should come off leaving the nut behind. Your descriptions almost sounds like the nut (or the post!) is stripped. You might be able to find a substitute nut but if the post is stripped you might have to get the whole linkage #9. Junkyard? I wouldn't expect places like PepBoys to have the linkage.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 PM

Yeah the arm can swing back and forth, the arm itself is pretty loose. Hopefully its just the nut that is stripped and I can find a replacement.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure the nut is pretty normal, just metric-sized. Probably doesn't cost much even at the dealer. I hope the post isn't stripped.

Take the arm completely off & clean out the hole & the post. The tapered part of the post might have ridges or some texture to grip the inside of the hole in the arm. If it's been sliding back & forth there's probably metal shaving all through there, making it smooth & not grippy.