General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Door handle Broke Off !

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 11:05 AM
hmr
Default Plastic Door handle Broke Off !

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, 4 cylinder with A/T. The ( exterior ) plastic door handle on my driver's door has broken off. I live in south Orange County, CA and I'm not aware of any auto junk yards in my area. Would this handle be a part that Honda or an auto parts place would stock ? Where can I get a replacement handle ? Also, I can't tell by looking at the exposed area how difficult replacing the handle would be. So, I may need it installed. Thanks for any help !

Last edited by hmr; 09-06-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to call your dealership to find out if they stock them. You can try car-part.com that looks up parts from junkyards. I'm not sure if most junkyards list the part, because it is not a high dollar item. It may help you find junkyards in your area.

Other options are ebay for new or used handles, or maybe something like rockauto. Someone on cragislist or maybe facebook marketplace may be parting out a 6th generation accord, so it may be worth look there too.

Installation isn't terrible, but you can decide after watching the video below on how to do this.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:02 PM
hmr

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You will have to call your dealership to find out if they stock them. You can try car-part.com that looks up parts from junkyards. I'm not sure if most junkyards list the part, because it is not a high dollar item. It may help you find junkyards in your area.

Other options are ebay for new or used handles, or maybe something like rockauto. Someone on cragislist or maybe facebook marketplace may be parting out a 6th generation accord, so it may be worth look there too.

Installation isn't terrible, but you can decide after watching the video below on how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA95nsxfVJY
Wow ! Thanks for the reply. That installation is way beyond my skill level. Assuming that a Honda dealer can get the replacement handle, what would you think that the total cost ( parts and labor ) would be ? Thanks.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

You can look up the retail price for the part on sites like hondapartsnow.com. Just looked and the part is ~$40.

Labor is charged per hour, where replacing that handle has a set number of hours to do the repair. If the labor time for replacing the handle is 1 hour, then the labor charge will be whatever the dealership charges per hour of labor. That rate can greatly vary depending on where you live.