General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 PM
mco
Unregistered
Default please help

i have a 96 4 door accord 5 speed.. now the problem i am having is that sometimes probly twice a week i get up and get ready for work and when i get in my car i have to push start my car all everything works it just wont start right up i have power and everything or sometimes i have to turn and hold the key for like 2 minutes then it would start it wont start right away?? the other problem is that when im in first gear and it gets up to 3000 rpms the car sounds like it wants to shut off so i shift and it drives fine untill 3000 rpms again and that happens on all 5 gears.. that would happen for about 100 miles then drive normal for about 3 days then the same thing would happen again please help anything would do?? thank you

Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: please help

It sounds like you might have two problems. Describe the no-start in more detail.

Does the starter turn the engine when you try to start, or does nothing happen? If nothing happens or you hear one click, then the starter solenoid is worn out. That is a pretty simple DIY replacement.

If the starter does turn the engine, then you will need to diagnose further.

As for the running problem, make sure that the maintenance items are up to date (air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor). Also check that all ends of the battery cable are clean and secure.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 PM
mco
Unregistered

when i turn the key nothin happens all the electronics work (clock, radio, etc) but does not try to turn on or nothin for like a minute or two just holding the key foward.. sometimes i have to push start it

Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Your car is a manual, it must have a switch on the clutch to make sure the clutch is in before cranking the engine. On my car, the switch is a little goofy and I have to push the pedal all the way in and slowly let it out to find the "sweet spot" where the switch is working and the car will crank.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't think about that switch. You can short the wire side of the clutch switch using a paperclip or some wire to connect A to B. If the car starts with no problem, then replace the clutch interlock switch. I attached a picture of it.

You can test the starter by doing the caveman test. Have someone hold the key all the way forward and lightly hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver. If the starter suddenly works, then the starter is the culprit.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

I didn't think about that switch. You can short the wire side of the clutch switch using a paperclip or some wire to connect A to B. If the car starts with no problem, then replace the clutch interlock switch. I attached a picture of it.

You can test the starter by doing the caveman test. Have someone hold the key all the way forward and lightly hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver. If the starter suddenly works, then the starter is the culprit.
had exactly the same problem, was the starter.
if i hit it with a wooden stick, it would suddenly come back to life, you can get a used one at a junkyard, this is what i did after 10 days of being ticked off, make sure the model is the same, they all look alike, but there are subtle differences that you might not notice until you realize the new starter doesn't fit in your car.
Good luck.