General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Default please help.

Hi, I have a 1988 honda accord lxi, 2.0 sohc fuel injection. I am having nothing but trouble lately. Battery went bad and so did starter replaced them, then temp sensor went out and replaced that. Now tranny has no 4th gear but am taking care of that. Now problem is when car is warmed up after driving and shut it sown. Some times it will not start, will start first time then die out immediately. Then wont start for while, let it sit a minute then it starts. I am puzzled at this point. Thinking maybe fuel pump is going out but why would it just do it sometimes when warm, please help me out with any info. Runs fine when running but have noticed sometimes also when warm the idle jumps around a little little. just a 100rpm up and down.. Thank, all replys will be helpfull.

Last edited by nail4545; 03-02-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

first thing is to be sure the coolant is full and the block burped thru the 12mm bleed screw at the T-stat housing.
Then if you still have idle swings, open the top on the FITV and turn the outer screw down a couple turns; when the engine is warmed up you should NOT hear air bypassing in there.
Beyond that clean the throttle body and IACV to help the idle.
As far as stalling on start up; turn on the key, wait for the CEL to shut off, then crank the engine.
This allows full fuel pressure so there is a better fuel spray from the injectors.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Default please help

I am a little confused when you mean the block burped thru thwe 12mm bleed scre at the t housing. I have no idea where this screw is and where is the t housing.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hondas don't like any air in the cooling system. There's a bleed valve on the thermostat housing. Open it to release any trapped air, then top up the antifreeze if needed.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

With starting/idling/stalling problems from experience I usually check:

>sparkplugs
>>>Are they all nasty and corroded? You can look online for pics on what bad sparkplugs look like.

>sparkplug wires
>>>Are the connections to the sparkplug wires firm? Is there any deterioration of the rubber wiring showing the inner wiring? Bad wires can cause spark signal not to get sent through and you can have cylinders not going off and that can stall out your engine.

>Distributor cap/rotor
>>>Check to make sure this is all good. Any corrosion? Any weird stuff going on? Look online to find out what this stuff should look like.