General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Default please help

I just bought a 93 accord lx. I'll explain my problems by going through a typical morning with it. I go out and try to crank it and its turning over very slowly like the battery is dead but does not start. I then attempt to jump it off with my truck. Which leads to my next issue. When the accord is hooked up to my truck it turns over normal speed and trys to start but just don't. Until I pat the gas and/or turn the ignition off then back on. The fuel pump is humming so I'm almost sure its not that. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like your battery does not have enough power to run the starter. You can pull the battery and have it tested at most parts stores.

Tomorrow morning, first jump the accord to your truck. Get into the car and turn the key to the II position, don't try to start the car, and let the fuel pump prime (when the check engine light turns off after the two second bulb check). Turn off the key, and repeat for a total of 3 to 4 times. Then try to start the accord. Let us know what happens.

Other things you can do are:
1. Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables.
2. Check for engine codes.
3. Inspect spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. Replace using OEM parts (or equivalents). Your spark plugs should be NGK zfr5f-11 (these are the copper v-power plugs that most parts stores sell for about $2 per plug).

Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Ok I'll do that in the morning. There are no engine codes because they are no check engine lights. I'm thinking there could be a problem with either main fuel relay or a filter cuz once its hooked up to the truck its starts fine but won't continue to run. But I'll try what you said in morning. But FYI I cleaned the terminals And posts until they were shiny. Thought I'd add one more thing. The previous owner has a wire coming through the firewall from the key switch I assume to the starter itself and when that wire isn't connected the motor won't even attempt to turn

Old 11-26-2013, 11:46 PM

Also after the car has ran for awhile I can cut it off and crank it like she's brand new.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 AM

On my way out the door to start it up. Will let you know if your method works better. I'll try not patting the gas first but just turning the switch on and off a few times. Will post as soon as I'm done

Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 AM

OK I'm in the car now. I hooked it up to my truck first. Then switched it on and off four times and on the fourth I started it and it continued to run perfectly. However i did locate the fuel relay and tapped on it with a screwdriver a couple times because my dad said if the relay is bad it'll help it sometimes. Also I might add my battery registers at 9 v with ohmmeter and 6 when attempting to start. So I'm almost certain the battery is my problem there. But what about the fuel delivery system? Also I wanted to ask could a very tight ac compressor belt prohibit the motor from starting with a weak battery powering the starter?

Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the battery is an issue that needs to be taken care of.

For the starting issue (not related to the battery). It could be an injector leaking down or a few other things. Can you test for fuel pressure?

Just to be sure, is this temp related (cold mornings) or time related?