General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Default Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak

So here it goes.....I bought a 1997 Honda Accord Ex 2.2L Vtec with a 140,000 miles on her. I bought this car and she ran great until 2 days later first the breaks went out on me and I had them replaced. The car has been driving very good and then the other morning I went outside and noticed it was leaking. I was scared to drive it so it has been sitting. I called the Mechanic and they told me to check the antifreeze. I checked the antifreeze and the reservoir is over half full. I check the oil and the transmission fluid and they are at good levels as well. I don't know what else it could be. Someone one told me to check the power steering fluid but I don't know where that is or how to check that. I don't even know if that is something that it could be. Please help me because I need my vehicle to drive. I don't have the money to take it to anyone until I kind of know what the problem is. I do not know much about cars even though I try and I do my best to learn. I have searched and searched the web for days trying to find help with this problem and I have had no luck so I am not begging for help. If I left something out please let me know this is my first time posting so I am not sure if I said everything that is needed. Thanks in advance for any help and advise.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 AM

Hi Hun,well it could be a number of things?can you tell what color the fluid is thats leaking?
but if you want hands on then i suggest you try an look under the car to try an see where the leak is coming from?
you said front passenger side correct?the only fluid i could think of that would leak from that side would be coolant?is it leaking alot?
check radiator hoses make sure clamps are on tite?
you also said you got your breaks done?could be break fluid?IDK
the leak is it watery?or more oily?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:52 AM

Well I pulled the car out of the parking space a few mins ago and stuck a paper towel in the puddle and the fluid on the paper towel was brown. When I first saw the puddle the other day it looked green but I am not sure cause I was a little drunk (sober today when I looked) today I opened the hood and couldn't tell where the leak was coming from. I can't really get up under the car cause it sits so low. Yes the puddle is on the front passenger side.
the only fluid i could think of that would leak from that side would be. It looks like a lot but than again I don't know what a lot would consist of when it comes to cars. How much coolant should be in the resevour? It was little over half when I checked earlier and the engine was cold. Yes I had new pads and rotors put on about 3 weeks ago. How do I check the break fluid?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Is the leak fast or slow?

How big of a leak, describe the amount on the floor? Does it look like you need to mop it up?

Does it leak faster with the engine running or is it mainly after you parked the car and come back later?

Touch the fluid, does it feel watery or does it feel oily? Smell it a little; possibly compare the smell to the engine oil or transmission fluid (you can pull the respective dipsticks to compare).

Under the hood, is the leak near the front (near the radiator), the middle (near the transmission area), or the rear (next to the firewall)?

Look under the distributor area (see attached pic.), see anything? There is a heater hose that attaches to the engine under the area of the distributor.

The coolant should be checked when cooled, the fluid level in the radiator should be up to the neck of the radiator. The fluid level in the coolant reservoir should be between the max and min lines (see attached pic.).

How does the power steering reservoir fluid level look? You can check this anytime, it should be between the upper and lower lines (see attached pic.).

Also check the transmission fluid (yellow handle) and engine oil (orange handle).

It probably has nothing to do with the brake fluid (the brake fluid reservoir is on the driver side, next to the firewall).

Can you take some pics. under the hood (above the engine) and below the engine (under the car) and ground area?

Attached Thumbnails Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak-general-layout.jpg   Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak-reservoir.jpg   Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak-power-steering-fluid.jpg   Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak-auto-transmission-fluid-level.jpg   Please help ASAP - Front Passenger Leak-engine-oil-check.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Unhappy

Q: Is the leak fast or slow?
A: Honestly I couldn't tell you the car has been sitting for about 4 days now I have not moved it.

Q: How big of a leak, describe the amount on the floor? Does it look like you need to mop it up?
A: There is a nice amount it has run down the parking lot.

Q: Does it leak faster with the engine running or is it mainly after you parked the car and come back later?
A: I first noticed it when after the car had been parked overnight

Q: Touch the fluid, does it feel watery or does it feel oily? Smell it a little; possibly compare the smell to the engine oil or transmission fluid (you can pull the respective dipsticks to compare).
A: It feels oily. I didn't compare the smell yet but I know the oil and transmission fluid levels were good.

Q: Under the hood, is the leak near the front (near the radiator), the middle (near the transmission area), or the rear (next to the firewall)?
A: I can't tell where it is coming from when you look under the hood but the spot under the car is in the front on the passenger side.

Q. Look under the distributor area (see attached pic.), see anything? There is a heater hose that attaches to the engine under the area of the distributor.
A: I will do this tomorrow

Q: The coolant should be checked when cooled, the fluid level in the radiator should be up to the neck of the radiator. The fluid level in the coolant reservoir should be between the max and min lines (see attached pic.).
A: I checked it in the reservoir when the car was cooled. It was about half full I didn't see any lines on there to check if it was in between the max and the min. I will check the actual radiator tomorrow.

Q: How does the power steering reservoir fluid level look? You can check this anytime, it should be between the upper and lower lines (see attached pic.).
A: I will check this tomorrow as well I was gonna check the other day but I didn't know where it was.

Q: Also check the transmission fluid (yellow handle) and engine oil (orange handle).
A: Checked both and levels were both good.

Q: It probably has nothing to do with the brake fluid (the brake fluid reservoir is on the driver side, next to the firewall).
A: Have not checked but will do just to be on the safe side.

Q: Can you take some pics. under the hood (above the engine) and below the engine (under the car) and ground area?
A: I can take pictures of engine from under the hood but not from under the car cause the car is to low to the ground. I will also take pictures of the ground.

Also I do not have any check engine light on in the car the only light is the SRS light but I was told that was air bags and Hondas have a problem with the SRS light coming on.

Thank you guys for the help so far. I am hoping to figure this out soon so I can drive her. Its driving me crazy cause I only had her a few days before she has been parked.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, report back with your other findings.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 AM

So sorry it took so long to reply. I ended up having to go out of town I left my car with a friend and her husband fixed it. Here is what was wrong.

The hose below the radiator was busted. I was able to drive her for the first time today in a month so I was so happy. She don't overheat or anything anymore and no more leak.
Thank you for yall's help.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Glad it got fixed. Thanks for coming back to let us know how things turned out.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member

And Welcome to the HAF...
As you just found out, we have some pretty good members in here with some great info to help folks out..Let your other caer freinds know about us and Please come back and say hello every day ot 2 to say hello and join in on something to talk about or just to read the joke section at most..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images