General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me help my 1994 accord!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Exclamation Please help me help my 1994 accord!!!!!!

alright, so my 1994 accord 4 door ex has been giving me starting issues. first it started out with the car just clicking and no response other than the fuel pump turning on and the clicking noise coming from the engine bay, no biggie back then... a couple extra clicks and it would start just fine... but, as time went by it happened more frequently and took even more starting attempts before actually firing up. now its to the point where i have to click it (clicks but engine doesnt turn over) numerous times im talkin any where from 2 to 20 minutes of repeated clicking. the thing that gets me is that once the car does finally does turn over it fires right up. sometimes it starts right up no prob. but mostly has trouble starting. i had the battery tested and it checked out. bought a working used started and put it in.... no change. i noticed that my lights are slightly dim when im idling and get brighter once the engine accelerates a little. again once the car does turn on it runs just fine. what could this be? alternator maybe? i was told that if i take off the positive terminal while the car is running and it stays on then the alt is good and vice versa..... it stays on so?..... anyone please help i neeed to get this fixed ASAP

Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 PM

also if i push start the car it fires right up as well

Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

A quick test for the battery and alternator is to get a volt meter. Measure the voltage on the battery before and after the engine starts. Let us know what you find.

Your problem is with the starter, wiring, or controls. Your description sounds like a bad solenoid/contact too. Those can be easily replaced, but you should do some testing first. You can try to measure the voltage on the small blk/wht wire going to the starter when you try to start the car. You should get 12V. An assistant will likely be necessary.

You may also want to disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables. Use a wire brush and/or sandpaper.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving? Have you tried checking for codes.