General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Exclamation Power Steering Leak

Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda Accord LX that I recently purchased from a used car dealer, no warranty. Yesterday the power steering went out on me while I was driving. I don't know much about cars, so I got some more fluid, but noticed the reservoir didn't need much. I kept driving and the car starting making this awful noise. Went to Autozone and was told to replace the power steering pump. Thankfully my husband was able to change it, but the steering wheel is still locking up. When we started the car this morning he noticed that it is still leaking fluid. HELP, I'm hoping someone can give me advice as to what the problem might be now. I really don't have the money to take this to a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Can you at least spot where the leak is coming from? Could be a ruptured or small crack in a power steering line.
ALSO - I'm going to make a little guess here - an awful noise, how awful? If pump fails it should just mean you lose the power to the steering. So should be I think no noise and hard as hell to steer but still can steer. A Lot of noise seems more indicative of something mechanically wrong at the rack, CV joint, etc etc...

What kind of noise?? Be specific. Can you record it on say your iphone and post the noise? That would help a lot of readers here I am sure.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM

The issue has been resolved, I had to replace the hoses along with the pump AND get power steering fluid just for Hondas (didnt know that) and everything is running smoothly now.

Thanks for your respnse.