General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Default A/C problem

This is my first post on the forum other than the introductory one. I've been having this problem for 2 weeks now. Passenger side A/C blows 50 degrees, driver's side blows 70 on a good day. Here are the things I've checked: fuses, operation of air mix/blend doors (dual air), made sure it goes from hot to cold in both modes, check. Put the gauges on it, low side at 30, good. High side seemed low at 120 (87 degree day) so I was thinking it should be up around 200-250 or higher depending on fan operation. Compressor has been leaking around the clutch area (dye) so it and the drier needs replacing anyway. I've read on several forums where if the A/C charge is low, this can be a symptom, so I evacuated, vacuumed and recharged the system, so I know that much is up to snuff. Same thing. Things are pointing to the compressor not moving the refrigerant through the system sufficiently to make it happy. I'm doing the repair Monday so I'll post up on whether this fixes it or not. I know I'm supposed to change the expansion valve but I'm not about to go through that much trouble for something that rarely goes bad. Why Honda couldn't put it on the engine side of the firewall is beyond me.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If air flow through driver's side and passenger side is similar, then something w/ expansion valve could be the issue.

It's not hard to remove evaporator housing and replace the expansion valve, but you need the shop manual to find all the fasteners. Also, the orings on the expansion valve and thermal feedback bulb are likely to be leaking and should be replaced w/ a system overhaul.

I've noticed some funny actions on my vent selection of my 94 EX. To get center vents to flow, sometimes I need to select another vent outlet (floor) and then return to all upper outlets. Something similar might be happening w/ yours, if air flow is low on driver's side.

I would also check the heater core flow control valve to be sure it's fully closing when temp is turned to max cold position.

I repaired my compressor w/ a new shaft seal (ackits.com).

You are correct that high side was low. It should be at least 2-2.5 times temp in degF, ie 87 should be 174-218 psi.

good luck

Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I've noticed some funny actions on my vent selection of my 94 EX. To get center vents to flow, sometimes I need to select another vent outlet (floor) and then return to all upper outlets

TX - Lube the mode control linkage - my 95 did that. I put some lube on the mode control linkage and solved it. I figured that out by watching the mode control lever/slide while changing the selections - when going to center vents it would start to move and stop - I could give it a small push with my finger and it would then go. Gave the lever/slide some lube and all good

Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thanks, it's such a minor issue I haven't bothered to address. I don't drive the 94ex regularly. It's my spare car in case one of primary has a problem.

regards

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Replaced the compressor and drier. Evacuated and then vacuumed the system for about 45 minutes then charged 1.2lbs 134a. Never noticed how noisy the old unit was until I replaced it with the new Denso. Put the gauge in both sides, 50 degrees with the car sitting in the hot sun on recirculate. I won't call it a fix until the wife's driven it a few days and all stays well. Low side is 35 and high side is 200-225.