General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem when starting my accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Default Problem when starting my accord

Hey guys, im new to the forums here, i have a slight problem with my car. Everyonce in awhile usually when the weather goes from really cold to warm outside is usually when it happens, like spring weather where its chilly then the next day its warm enough for shorts. Any way what happens is when i go to start it, it will turn over, shudder for 2 secs then abruptley shut off, now if i pump the gas as soon as it turns over and then throw it in reverse or drive (Whichever direction i need to go) as long as i give it gas it will stay on, then once im in gear im fine it will drive absolutley perfect. Also it seems if the weather stays consistant it will not do this.. Im not quite sure what to do, i looked around all the general tech threads and the DIY threads and found a few similar but not what i need to fix the problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 PM

So today it did it again and my CEL came on.. So i ran up to Auto Zone and these were the codes that it gave me

P0301
P0302
P0304
P0306
and then this HONDA Dealership code P1399
Sorry i didnt post codes from begining but my CEL wasnt on and didnt think about it

Thinking i might try changing my Coilovers and sparkplugs first but not sure if that will 100% fix my problem any suggestions would be great!

Thanks guys!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

P030n = misfire in cylinder "n"

P1399 isn't on my list, but probably because my list came from a Helm book for 4-cylinder Accords.

New sparkplugs - Honda seems to like NGK the best. People have had troubles with Bosch.

New coils... ? That's pretty expensive if you're not sure THEY are causing the problem. Maybe someone has access to a proper shop manual for that year to tell you how to test them?

Variation on the arcing test? Cold engine in complete darkness (like very early in the morning. Remove the covers over the coils. Start the engine & turn off ALL the lights. Look for any arcing (blue glow). I don't know whether there's enough clearance around the coils where you can actually see this even if it's happening??

Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Hey jim thanks alot for the reply, well on a hunch since the problem would temporarily fix if i pumped my gas pedal and then stay on, i went and bought a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner and after about 2 days my CEL went back off and now im not having any problems at all, soo my guess is either my fuel pump is about shot soon or was just really dirty but i guess ill find out, thanks again for your help
-Nick