General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems restarting my 1993 Honda Accord LX after turning it off

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
matta2002
Unregistered
Default Problems restarting my 1993 Honda Accord LX after turning it off

I am having trouble with my 1993 Honda Accord LX 4 door automatic. When i started my car in the morning, it started up just fine. I drive to work with no problem and When i turned it off, i had to start it back up but when i did, it wouldnt start. It tried to turn over but it wouldnt start. I waited about 20 seconds and it started right up as if nothing had happened. After work today, i went out to my car and started it up and it did, and drove home. When i got there, i turned it off and tried to start it up again to see if it wouldbut it didnt.I waited about 30 seconds and tried it again, it started up just fine. Im not sure whats going on. Last year during the summer (im in Texas so it gets hot out) it did the same thing a couple times butnever did it when itook it to the shop to have it checked. I was told that itmight be the distributor but wanted to make sure before i replaced it.(On a side note, when i first turned on my car this morning, it went up to 2000 rpm. (it usually is from 1500 to 2000 when i first start it up and then it gradually falls to about 800rpm) I put it in neutral to see if that would change anything but it went down to 1500 then right back up to 2000, then down again to 1500, then back up and so on. I put it in drive and it drove normal [it usually idles at 600- 900 rpm]) didnt know if that would be helpful. Sorry about the long post but i wanted to be detailed. Any helpor advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Problems restarting my 1993 Honda Accord LX after turning it off

Check that main relay. Lots of posts about it here. Mine did it once, hasn't since I fixed it.
Intermittant problems are hard to find.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:35 PM

yup main relay or keyswitch if your dash board goes dark then its the keyswitch
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when car does not start you need to properly diagnose if it is lack of spark or fuel, there are a few write ups on our DIY section ,,But i would have to agree with the other members on the possibility of being the main relay it is that time of the year
But first Diagnose, Diagnose, Diagnose .. . do not replace any parts till you know for sure what the problem is

Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

For the idle surge problem, be sure the coolant is full and block burped thru the 12mm bleed screw at the T-stat housing. If that is all well and good, you might need to adjust the Fast Idle Thermal Valve.
For your starting problems, try turning the key on and wait until the check engine light goes off [allows fuel pressure to peak] then crank the engine.
A fresh set of spark plugs might be a good idea as well.
14 years is a long time between spark plug changes. LOL