General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Jeka
Unregistered
Default Question!!!!!

Hi guys, i have a question that not too many people can answer or even understand. I got a 94 accord exr 2 door manual. I got 17" rims but not sure what tires i should get. im not sure what size will fit my car. If anyone knows that car you will know that the strut that is holding the wheel, it stick out too much in those models and therefore i dontknow which tire will fit so that it doesnt rub against it. In other cars, the shock is straight and you can fit many dif sizes. BUt in this one, it sticks out so the tire can only fit a specific width and height before rubbing agaisnt the shock.strut. If anyone can help me, please email me at evghenii.s@hotmail.com. I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THanks a lot

Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

We're not going to email you, we reply here, you check the site and see the answer.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Jeka
Unregistered
Default ????

i dont see how your answer is relevant to my question? if you dont know the answer or want to be a smart one then you might as well not say anything and move on. People who know the answer willpost it here and those nice enough will email. I do check this site but email is easier that is all. No need to get mouthy.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Listen, I said it to protect fellow members. If you would like, click on the "Thread Tools" menu and click "Subscribe" to have an e-mail sent to you when someone replies.

Now I will get mouthy:
Ask the regulars on here (above 1,000 posts) and you will notice that I am the one who is usually kindly spoon feeding new members who are too lazy to search. My first response IS relevant to your post. I responded to the e-mail portion of the post, how is that not relevant?

Now, the answer to your poorly worded question:
What is the width of the wheel? It shout be printed on the backside of the wheel, something like "17x7.5JJ", where 7.5 is the width in inches, convert that to millimeters and you have your tire width. Next, go to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, and put in the stock tire from the door jamb, then put in the tire width you just figured out, and find a sidewall ratio that is close to the stock tire size (same overall diameter, the number will be different). The overall sizes of stock and new tire should match each other to keep handling and speedometer function correct.

Now, if you are afraid the wheel will rub (you can fit a 7" wide wheel with a +55mm offset easily), you can stretch the tires by subtracting 10-20mm from the wheel width. It can look goofy, but it helps in a lot of rubbing situations.

Finally, do you see how easy this was? If you seek advice, you cannot choose what method you receive it. "Beggars can't be choosers." Now since I posted this on the forum instead of e-mailing it to you, everybody can see!, including other new members who might actually think to search prior to asking a common question. Next time search, if I was a moderator I would've locked this thread.

Thank you, have a good day.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Jeka
Unregistered
Default ok

Ok well see how easy that was? You could have done that right from the start.
Thank you for the info, much appreciated, now going to see what i understood from all that
Tech language lol.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry your new-member welcome wasn't exactly happy. Starting out by saying that most of us won't even understand the question wasn't a good start either.

But Finch wasn't just talking about the information. It was about the idea of individually emailing you. Two reasons for that.

1) New member. We have no way of knowing if you are really looking for help or if you're looking to collect valid email addresses. Don't laugh, it happens.

2) When we reply here on the forum, plenty of other people can benefit from the information when they search.

BTW, you can also go to tirerack dot com & put in your car's info (year, model) and it can give you sizes that WILL work in +1, +2 or whatever. I suppose other tire places have worked that out too.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Jeka
Unregistered
Default wow...

Wow guys what is such a big deal? this is the first forum that has a problem with an email address. I NEVER FORCED anyone to email me, i asked very nicely for those who know the answer to email me since i check it more frequently. Finch asnwered it here and i never complained, i said thank you and moved on. but some people actually emailed me the replies without any hesitation.

I was very nice in asking the question, saying please and thank you. By me saying that some ppl wont understand it simply means that because i dont know all the tech language ppl may not uderstand my questions as Finch said it was poorly worded, not that ppl are dumb and wont know the answer.

My new member welcome was happy you said? Well thats ok, ppl have their own opinions and if you judge a book by its cover then good for you. i really dont care what ppl online think of me. I was never rude to anyone, all i did was ask a simple question.

As for the answer, thanks for your info, i'll keep it in mind, but i have already solved my problem for now untill a new one arises

Thanks to all who replied, this thread can be closed now, unless you want to have it open for other people to see if hey have the same problem. Im new so im not sure how to do this.