General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the Mechanics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Lafaygts
Unregistered
Default Question for the Mechanics...

My friend has a 94-97 accord, 4 door automatic. Pretty sure its a 4 cylinder... Heres the issue, she was driving it and the engine died, no funny noises, just died.

Checked the OIL and it is just a bit over full, what she said she filled it to last time she changed it. It still turns over but wont start. I looked around the ingine bay and the belts and fuses are all ok. I cant see any leaks either. The check engine/alt/oil (normal for the engine not running) lite is on and for some reason the D4 light for the automatic transmition on the dash is blinking. tranny problem maby? then why wont it start?

Any ideas on what is going on?

Im not much of a honda guy, i usually work on mitsu or toyotas.. so im not quite sure where to start. thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Blinking D4 is the tranny's version of a check-engine light. But that should not prevent starting. Deal with that later, or maybe it'll go away when the engine is running.

A bit over full oil won't prevent starting either.

Check for lack of fuel vs. lack of spark.
If it fires after spraying throttlebody-cleaner in the intake, then your spark is OK so you need to look at fuel supply.

Key ON, but don't immediately turn to START. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then turn off. Not very loud, so you may need someone listening in back.

When it cranks, does it sound normal for cranking? Fast cranking with no compression might be a broken timing belt (that would be BAD).

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Lafaygts
Unregistered

Yea i found a code checker on line and will try to pull the code next time i go check the car out, Ill pull the oil fill cap off and check to see if the cams are turning when it cranks too so see if the timing belt went. Ill have to listen to the fuel pump too i forgot to do that last time...

Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

You sound like you know your way around cars, so I guess you would recognize the sound of cranking with no compression? It's an interference engine so a broken timing belt can bend the valves. Occasionally the belt loses a couple teeth, & cam timing goes way off. But the belt is still there, & the camshaft turns.

But there's easier stuff to check too, & more likely the problem. Got spark? Got fuel?