General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Radiator Fan

I know, I know, this one's been talked about a million times, but I'm still not getting anywhere... So, here's the problem.

To begin with my 95 accord is not overheating, the temp. gauge reads a little less than halfway when running. However, when I shut off the car the radiator fan turns on for about a minute and a half. Why?

If I turn the car back on it will turn the fan back off. Basically, if I'm idling on the road the radiator fan does not turn on, but if I turn off the car it turns on.

My other accord (94) only turns on if I'm idling, but I've never had it turn on after I've turned the car off.

Is it a sensor? And if so, which one and how do I test it? THANKS!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No, the cooling system is designed to run one fan (pax side?) when engine shuts down and coolant temp gets to about 225F. Fan comes on to assist thermosiphon cooling and reduce cylinder head soak temp. This reduces possibility of a failed head gasket.

Why is 94 different? Most likely the 95 thermostat is running a bit hotter than the 94 and/or the thermswitch B that controls this engine off fan action is set to come on at a lower than spec temp.

BTW, the fan is programmed to run about 15 mins, not 1.5 mins.

good luck

Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay, so it's sort of doing what it's suppose to... That's good. And yes, I was talking about the passenger side fan. But why doesn't it come on when I'm idling? If it will turn on as soon as I turn the car off, and turn off as soon as I turn the car on, that seems to be telling me that the sensor/switch that should start the fan when the car is too hot and running isn't working, like in my 94. Is there a separate sensor/switch for when the car is running? And hmmm... 15 minutes? Definitely not running for that long... Also, how hot does the temp gauge have to rise before it turns on the fan, because I know it doesn't get half way ever. Many thanks!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

W/ engine running fans come on if temp gets above ~194F. Many times the fans will not come on under normal conditions. Car moving is enough cooling air flow to provide adequate heat transfer.

Long idles in traffic should turn the fans on. If not thermoswtich A (near thermostat housing) is faullty and should be checked/replaced as indicated. If engine temp goes above 1/2 mark w/o fans coming on while idling, thermoswitch A is likely faulty.

Approx. 15 mins is what the shop manual says for engine off, pax side cooling fan run time. It does not say it goes off based on coolant temp.

good luck

Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

As soon as the temp=switch cools off, it'll shut off the fan. The fan timer shuts it off after 15 minutes just in case the fan switch sticks closed.