General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radiator fan?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Default Radiator fan?

First off, hi, i'm new here. Nice to mee all of you. Yesterday, I bought my wife an '04 Honda Accord, 2.4. It is the first Honda that we've owned and we love it, until today.

So i drove it near 100 mi home to surprise my wife and it did just fine, but today, I drove it 6 mi to Wal-Mart and back and one of the fans will not shut off, even with out the engine running.

My Accord has the dual-fan, but I'm not sure if it's Radiator or Condensor. It's the fan on the drivers side. I've read in Forums that sometimes the engine requires a "cool-off" time and will run for minutes afterwards, but my fan ran for 2 hours. I checked the Coolant level and it was fine. When i unplugged the fan connector (on the right side) the fan turned off, but when I plugged it back in, it'd kick back on.

So my question is, is this the radiator fan that is running, and does it sound like a bad sensor or relay? I've seen threads where the fans would not turn on, and it'd overheat, but I have not seen a thread where it won't turn off, well not for an '04, i saw a few for 90s models. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

The driver's side fan is the radiator fan. Passenger side is the condenser fan. Both fans turn on to cool the radiator and condenser to help cool when the engine is running.

A quick way to tell is the a/c condenser fan is the one in front of (or closest to) the a/c compressor.

The 90-97 accords had a feature where one fan would turn on when the engine is turned off. I think the 98+ accords do not have this feature. Let me verify.

This could be a relay problem. Switch the condenser and radiator relay (see attached pic for location). Let us know if this problem fan switches.

Also, do you have a volt meter?

Attached Thumbnails Radiator fan?-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

First off I would check the temperature switch sounds like it is not functioning properly,not sure on your 04, but 90 to 98 i believe use a fan timer module that turns the fan on when the engine is hot and ign off. they use a 2 thermal switch system that are set for a low and high. I believe yours only has the one temp sender usually located at the neck on the engine where the radiator hose connects. Just unplug and check the switch itelf for continuity using an ohmeter or a self powered test light if you have continuity or the light comes on with the engine cold the switch is toast. about $10-$20 for a new one

Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

my next step has already been covered by PAhonda