General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio cuts out, and radio looses signal with rear defrost on??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Default Radio cuts out, and radio looses signal with rear defrost on??

I have a 04 accord, manual, 4cyl, sedan. I have had this issue for the past 4 years of owning this car.

What happens is; radio will be on and working. Then all of a sudden it cuts out with loud cracks and static. When I turn the radio back off, hit the top of the stereo by the heat ducts a few times and then turn the radio back on, it works again. Until it cuts back out. The radio works about 15% of the time.

I was told the possible issue was the thermal grease on the small heat sink, attached to the radio. Apparently Honda used the wrong type of thermal grease, which dries out, and makes the radio think it is over heating and it goes into a "safe mode", causing the radio to cut out and make loud cracking and static noises.

I have had this radio taken apart numerous of times, trying to fix this issue. I have replaced the thermal grease with proper CPU thermal grease. It had fixed it temporarily, but after a week, it's back to the usual.

I had just noticed today, that when I turn my rear defrost on, I lose my radio signal on all stations. But if I turn it back off, the signal comes back. I don't know if this is in relation to the radio cutting in and out, or not. :/

Some one please help me! I really don't want to have to purchase an aftermarket deck, just because of this. I know it is some kind of issue that I can fix, I just need some other opinions.
Apparently this is an on going issue with alot of accords in my generation and above.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have an 07 that had the same issue. After taking it apart a few times and finding out it was the actual board I decided to put the Honda Nav in. Problem solved, problem staying solved. Lol.

You have to send it in unless you are good with board soldering and have the parts needed to change out. Yes it does start by it over heating but before you actually take action on the heating issue it ruins the board. Personally I would just find another radio from the junk yard or on eBay. There are tons available.