General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ramp extension and floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Default ramp extension and floor jack

I have a 2000 accord and having trouble driving up on my portable ramp when i do my oil change. the front seems to be lower than my old 92 accord which have no problem. does anyone knows do they make extension for the ramp? Also i like to purchase a large 2-3 ton floor jack because my small 2 ton jack can not lift the car high enough to put the jack stand underneath the car. Anybody have recomendation on these large jack.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ramp extension and floor jack

I have a craftsman 3 ton floor jack that I bought on sale at sears for around $50. Its great. goes as high as I need it to, on both my car and my parents cars (suv and minivan) and has rear caster wheels which really are great.

Thats my recommendation.

I also hear good things about the model up from it. A friend of mine bought one, and Its very light, will raise quicker when theres no load on it so you dont have to pump it excessively to get it the height of the car, and it has a parts tray on it. some even have lights built into them now.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: ramp extension and floor jack

I've had the same problem w/ ramp interference on many of my vehicles; Accords, Acura CL, Acura TL. The ramp is too steep for the bumper elevation. I get around the problem w/ a ~18" length of 2x6 lumber to "bridge up the ramp to about the 3" above the ground. This allows bumper to clear the ramp. On wet days, forget trying this as slipping wheels throw the boards backwards.

Ramps are wonderful, but tricky to drive up, even w/ someone to help. Doing this with your wife will test your marriage. By yourself, they are a genuine challenge to mount safely. I almost managed to drive my daughter's 01 Celica over the end stop. That would have been a bad day.

I bought a large, heavy Goodyear floor jack from Sam's for about $60 several years ago. I think it's 5 ton capacity, but not certain. I has a nice lift height and rapid rise feature while unloaded. A great tool to have when you need to elevate for placement of jackstands. Be sure you understand where the lift points are for front and rear end lifting.

good luck

Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Question So 2008 Accord Oil change I

should be using jackstands and not ramps?

In Cypress.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I use ramps for oil changes, but read on...

My ramps have extensions, to make them really long & shallow so they clear the front valence. For oil changes, I use only the extensions, & drive up just far enough so I can reach under to the drain bolt & filter. I guess it would be about the same if I just laid a 2x6 down on the ground & drove up onto it.