General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ran fine. Changed tires. Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Default Ran fine. Changed tires. Won't start.

I have a 97 accord SE that I started up without a problem and backed up to a non icy spot so I could jack up the car and take 2 bald tires off. I did just that and brought them to the shop had the new tires mounte etc. put them on. A casually slow 3.5 hour job and when I went to startup and pull back into my spot it cranks and puffs and farts but won't run. The more cycles I give the key to get more fuel pump bursts the longer the initial start attempt lasts but never fully fired up. I'm dumbfounded. Never had a starting problem just occasionally a stuttering idle which I assume is the IACV. I considered the main fuel pump relay but being the location of it and my size the most I could do was tap it with a screwdriver which coincidentally makes the car fire much more often but not start.

Any ideas? Plugs leads cap rotor are fairly new.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check fuses 6 and 7 in underhood fuse box (6 -ECU 15A, 7 - Fuel Pump 15A).

If fuses are good, W/ door closed and everything off turn keyswitch to On. You should hear a couple of clicks from Main Fuel Relay (MFR) and buzz of fuel pump in fuel tank for 3 secs, and then pump goes off.

If you don't hear the clicks and fuel pump run, then MFR or fuel pump problem is likely.

If you hear fuel pump run every time keyswitch is turned from Off to On, then fuel supply is likely OK and ignition problem is more likely.

Check for spark to spark plugs w/ timing light pickup on wires (no flash means no spark), or pull a plug wire, insert old plug, ground plug and check for spark.

No spark would suggest either distributor problem (ignitor or coil) or possibly ignition keyswitch fault (notice of gauge panel is dark when starting, if yes keyswitch is likely).

good luck

Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Went out today unplugged the battery charger and cranked it over fired up stuttered and almost died and regained itself. After playing with the engine for a bit today it looks like my head gasket is leaking pretty badly between the cylinders and coolant. When revving bubbling can be heard rushing through the lines most noticeably in the heater core. Possibly just bad compression?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A bad head gasket will cause missing and other problems.

good luck

Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Would also explain hard to start if getting coolant into cylinders.