General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Main oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Default Rear Main oil leak?

Last week up here in the great white north, the temps ran into the double digits below zero. My '96 VTEC, auto, 144k miles Accord stared leaking engine oil like crazy. More than a quart every hundred miles. Before this, it hadn't used any oil. I put it up and crawled under to see where. It is dripping just above and behind where the drivers side halfshaft exits the trans. And yes, it is engine oil. Is it the rear main? Does this mean pulling the engine out for seal replacement? Is this a common occurance with Honda's?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Rear Main oil leak?

Crankshaft oil leak is less likely than more typical leak sources; distributor shaft oring (could leak heavily if missing or failed), Vtec solenoid , valve cover, oil filter, oil pressure switch ( good possibility), or balance shaft seals (leak would drain from lower timing belt cover). I would check these before pulling trans to check crankshaft seal.

good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 PM

It's not the valve cover, oil filter, or balance shaft seals . It is ONLY dripping just above and behind where the drivers side halfshaft exits the trans. Actually it is dripping from the brace that is just above the halfshaft.
Where do I find the Vtec solenoid and oil pressure switch? And, any of these would just one day begin leaking profusely? Thank You

Old 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Found the leak, more, or less. It is dripping from the area behind where the upper radiator hose connects to the intake manifold housing. I do not know the technical terms for this housing. But, on one end of this housing the upper radiator hose is connected and the other end of this housing is bolted to the intake manifold close to where it bolts to the engine. This housing is behind the distributor. The oil is dripping as best as I can tell from where this housing bolts to the intake. I hope this description is good. When I take it apart, what am I looking for and how do I fix it?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The leaking part may be the Vtec solenoid valve. It is in that vicinity. It's a triangular shaped base plate w/ a short round cylinder mounted vertically on base. Remove 3 bolts to access gasket, if it's leaking from the base to engine mount. There's an 8-shaped oring seal that hardens and leaks.

Download the 94-97 Accordmanual from Online Manuals links in DIY. It will supply all the details.

good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll pull it apart tomorrow afternoon. Great advice as usual.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Confused...
The upper radiator hose does not go to the intake manifold; it goes to the front of the head.

The lower radiator hose goes to the thermostat housing, which is closer to the intakemanifold.

The brace just above the driveshaft, sounds like it might be the oil pan gasket. But its probably dripping from above, since you found it leaking up higher.

The rear crankshaft seal would leak into the bellhousing, run down the block, still hidden inside the bellhousing. It would leak OUT at a little hole at the bottom of the bellhousing.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Found it and fixed it, it was the the Vtec solenoid valve. I removed the top and the part that attaches to the head, pried out the gaskets and used gasket maker on both sides of the old gaskets. Put it all back together, let it sit over night, fired it up this morning, and no leak. Thank You very much for your assistance.

"Confused...
The upper radiator hose does not go to the intake manifold; it goes to the front of the head. The lower radiator hose goes to the thermostat housing, which is closer to the intakemanifold.
" You are correct, my mistake, sorry.

Thank You