General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace master switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Default Replace master switch?

I have a 2005 Accord Coupe, LX

My driver side window has always given me grief.

It would sometimes not work. And sometimes there would be a grinding noise. Something in there was also scratching up my window tint

Finally, I replaced the motor and regulator... and it started to work just BEAUTIFULLY. Responsive, and NO annoying grinding noise.

Lately, I have noticed a couple of times where the window wont roll down when I press the switch. Rare, but it happens.

So now, I'm wondering if I need to replace the switch.

Am I thinking about this correctly? What would you do, to be sure? And do I replace the entire master switch?

Thank you in advance much for your help and knowledge

Last edited by Calvinius Victorius; 08-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Lately, I have noticed a couple of times where the window would roll down when I press the switch. Rare, but it happens.
This sentence is confusing, because it reads like the windows is working properly.

Can you give a more detailed explanation of what is wrong with the window now that the motor and regulator was replaced? Also, how long after the replacement did you notice the new issue?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:08 AM

About 1 or 2 weeks after replacing the motor and regulator is when I started to notice that sometimes the window wouldn't roll down, and would take several tries before it would start responding again

on the whole, works much better than before, and definitely smoother without the grinding sound

but again, now I wonder if I should be changing the master switch also

if there was something wrong with the switch, is it possible that it could mess up my new motor and regulator, even?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
This sentence is confusing, because it reads like the windows is working properly.

Can you give a more detailed explanation of what is wrong with the window now that the motor and regulator was replaced? Also, how long after the replacement did you notice the new issue?
thanks for the question, I edited to reflect what I really meant

Old 08-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

When a window won't move, the cause can be the motor, the wiring (missing power and/or ground), the switch, or the window binding in the track.

You should really test the circuit before making the next repair.

What year is your accord?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When a window won't move, the cause can be the motor, the wiring (missing power and/or ground), the switch, or the window binding in the track.

You should really test the circuit before making the next repair.

Yup, it might only need the connectors cleaned. Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in will fix it.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 PM

Sorry, I put it in my signature but that's not appearing, apparently

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe, LX (will also update in the OP)

Old 04-08-2020, 12:03 AM

Im having the same issue with my 05 Accord coupe. The switch has been giving me issues ever since I bought the car a few months ago. Then it just stopped working all together. I never heard any kinds of weird noises from the motor/regulator, Im assuming it is the switch itself. It feels very mushy and loose. Im having such a hard time finding the exact part number I have which is (SDN-A02). All the switches I find online are A03 or another one. Does this matter? or as long as the year make and model are the same would it work? Please help me out here. I hate having to open my door at a drive-thru or gate.