General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing the AC Condensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM
phils93lx
Unregistered
Default Replacing the AC Condensor

So I just found out from the shop the reason my car won't hold freon is because the condensor is leaking. I found that Auto Zone has a brand new one for 99.99 w/out a core. I'm going to try and do this in the next week or two as it is HOT in Texas right now. Any tips or tricks on making this an easy job? The shop wanted almost $500 to do it, and I just can't spend that kind of cash right now! Anything you guys and gals can come up with would be great! Thanks! BTW, it's a '93 accord 4dr, LX. No motor swap yet , but that's gonna be by this fall for sure!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
General Tech would be a better place for this post, so I'll move it.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My first suggestion would be to download a 90-93 Accord manual from Online Manuals diy post. I seem to remember a 91 manual. Any of those years are virtually identical on AC system. I would also purchase an automotive AC repair manual and read (ackits.com)

I would also suggest reading about retrofitting on ackits.com.

I assume you will retrofit to R134a as this is lowest cost path for rebuilding system. You can't buy R12 directly and it's expensive to have installed. One mistake and you've blown $50-$100 of refrigerant. Cooling may be reduced, but should be adequate; 45-50F air once car is cooled down inside.

Tools should be regular diy tools. Following are special items and parts:

- Vacuum pump (check ebay for used/new pump< $100). Avoid a venturi "pump", they don't work very well and require a large air compressor to drive them.
- R134a (3 cans should be adequate). You'll need a can tap. (ebay or local auto parts $30)
- R134a adapter fittings (check ackits.com $20)
- R134a manifold gauge set to monitor and deliver charge into system. (ebay, ackits.com $75)
- New receiver/drier (old may not be compatible and should be replaced in any case, ackits.com $40).
- double-end capped PAG for lubricant (ackits.com $10)
- new orings for all connections (ackits.com $10)

This may seem like a lot of equipment, but if you diy everything, this is what you need. Also you'll be set to do your own AC repairs for the rest of your life.

The process of evacuating and recharging is described on ackits.com site.

Alternatively, you could simply replace the condensor yourself, and return to your AC shop for charging. They will charge you for retrofitting, or for R12 costs if you stay w/ R12. I would expect your "out-of-pocket" to be similar to above, about $350-$400 including the replacement condensor. You may be able to find a used condensor and save $50 or more. Check car-part.com for a salvage yard part near your zipcode.

As you see, the $500 price was not bad, if it includes retrofitting or charging w/ R12, and presumably warrantied work.

If you decide to diy, and need help, please post your question.

good luck

Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 AM
phils93lx
Unregistered

I've already done the retrofit to R134 so that part has been taken care of. I have a friend who has the vacuum pump and all the stuff for servicing the ac. All I really need to buy right now is the condenser which I found at Auto Zone for 99.99! I'm going to try and get this thing ordered and done by next weekend! This many days in a row of triple digit heat really sucks!

Thank you for replying with that much detail. Should help me to understand what is going on greatly!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Want to save even more money? I just came back from the local yard, I paid $20.00 for a condenser, I removed it myself, I actually removed 3 from 3 different accords 90-93 and compared which looked better. It took me 1 hour to remove 3. They give me 45 days to test it and if it leaks I get my money back, Or I get another one. Removing the actual condenser is very easy, 10mm socket for the bolts that hold it in place and a 12mm for the upper line bolt. There are 2 lines to disconnect, its very easy. Of course The cars I removed the condensers from had no radiator, and were in pieces already. Once you've installed the new condenser you'll have to go to your mechanic to have the system bled and refilled, not a DIY task unless for some reason you have the equipment.

I'm confused, they were charging you $500 juts to change the condenser and filling it up and having it work? Because you say your car is already retroffited.?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Please let me know who things go for you, I'm in the process of doing the same thing on my 93 accord.