General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
skeenr
Unregistered
Default Replacing oil pan gasket

I have noticed a slow leak around the oil pan on my girlfriends 97 Honda Accord EX V6 while changing the oil. I am considering replacing the gasket one afternoon once the weather warms up a bit but I am looking for someinput from others who may have done this before. My question is does the exhaust need to be removed? I scannedpast threads but I didn't see any on 97 V6s. Everything seemed to focus4 cylinder models.Also, if the exhaust has to come off is it something I should be able todo myself with a littleelbow grease,heat (assuming they haven't welded themself stuck) and unbolt, or will it need to be cut off and welded back?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Replacing oil pan gasket

no need to cut anything off and weld it back on.... on the v6 models I don't know off the top of my head, i've never had to drop and exhaust to get the oil pan off but I don't know how much clearance yours has (don't forget to drain the oil first *L*)... and removing the exhaust just takes wd-40 and work, to make life easier having a short breaker bar on hand helps too or air tools... make sure you clean the block and oil pan surfaces really well before you re-install everything or you'll be at a higher risk for leaks...

Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Couple hints but they're based on 4-cyl cars...

Use barely any (or none) Permatex Ultra-Grey - apparantly that's like Honda-Bond. If you use too much, it lubricates the gasket so it squirms around & out as you tighten the bolts.

Don't overtighten the bolts. That will also make the gasket squirm out.

The gaskets I've seen are all wadded up in the package. Lay it out flat for a day or 2. That way it won't be trying to curl back up as you're trying to fit up the pan.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

The gaskets I've seen are all wadded up in the package. Lay it out flat for a day or 2. That way it won't be trying to curl back up as you're trying to fit up the pan.
JIm,, i see that you do not work on flat rate LOL LOL .

no need to wait a day or 2 or even 5 minutes ,, those gaskets are real plyable ,, what i have done for over 25 years when installing pan gaskets,, is to get a can of spray adhesive.( 3m ) spray some on the block, and some on the gasket, put Honda-bond only a small amount like Jim suggested on the short sides of the gasket and stick it up on the block, make sure all the holes line up,,put some more Honda-bond on the short sides on the pan itself and install the pan,, Again as stated by Jim , do not overtighten the bolts, nuts, use a 10mm socket, extension and rachet and tighten them by hand ,, start in the center and go in a criss cross pattern .

Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: deserthonda
JIm,, i see that you do not work on flat rate LOL LOL .
Exactly!!

But we all have our 'motivators'. 20 minutes into a timing belt change on my daughter's car, my wife was already coming into the garage to ask if I was done yet...