General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Default Replacing PCM?

The emissions control light went off on my 4 cylinder 2001 Accord sedan. The dealer ran diagnostics and said it needs a new PCM which would be very expensive ($1200) . I did a little research and it looks like I can buy a refurbished/used one for a fraction of the cost. I can also provide the car’s VIN and some other information and the online company will program it. Has anyone had experience with a refurbished and programmed PCM? Do you have to reprogram it if you are buying a used one that is from the same make/model/year? Is this fairly easy to install? Thanks!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread to the proper forum.

The PCM is a component that rarely fails, so a used PCM from a junkyard would be a viable option. Check out car-part.com to search for used PCMs by price or distance to see what local junkyards are charging.

I am not sure if you want to install this yourself or you want the dealership to install and program the part for you.

If you are doing this yourself, the PCM will have to be programmed by the dealer or a locksmith for your keys to work properly. There is a brake code that you can use to get the car to start to get to the dealership. I am not sure if you have to give the information for your car or the donor car. See this thread to see what I am talking about:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ex-2-2l-42316/

Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

You can get the PCM "re-flashed" places other than the dealer. There are a few aftermarket autoparts stores that offer this service as well. As Jim said, if it is not "flashed" for your car/VIN then the keys will be an issue.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Thank you! I appreciate your insight. Once I install the refurbished PCM, is there a way to confirm that it is working properly before I get it "flashed"?

On another note, I just wanted to confirm that there is only one PCM. I called the dealer to get a quote on reprogramming a refurbished PCM and the Service Advisor asked me which PCM. He told me there were several on the car. I believe he was trying to discourage me from buying a used one. Thoughts?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BlueBessie
Thank you! I appreciate your insight. Once I install the refurbished PCM, is there a way to confirm that it is working properly before I get it "flashed"?

On another note, I just wanted to confirm that there is only one PCM. I called the dealer to get a quote on reprogramming a refurbished PCM and the Service Advisor asked me which PCM. He told me there were several on the car. I believe he was trying to discourage me from buying a used one. Thoughts?
If you had the matching key with transponder for the immobilizer system on the refurbished ECM/PCM, you can test that it is working before getting it reprogrammed. Otherwise, the immobilizer system will prevent the car from being started without being reprogrammed.

There is one Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module.

Refer to these technical service bulletins for more insight:

"http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x98-024e.pdf"

"http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x97-058e.pdf"