General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear bumper fastener

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Replacing rear bumper fastener

Car 07 accord hybrid. Sorry if posted in wrong section !

A few years ago I hit a wall (well not a wall but a block of cement in the parking stall I didn't see at night =.=). Damaged the right rear side of the car and the bumper was total loss but I was able to find a generic bumper and got it painted etc etc. However, the clips on the fastener that holds the right side of the bumper (pictures below) are not holding it properly. That's because the tongues on the black fastener are broken. It was never a big issue but just wanted to get it fixed now. I bought the fastener (not sure if this is what its called) for $10, and now I want to replace it. So that's my question for today. How would I go about removing that fastener? How should I remove those white clips on it? Do I have to go inside the trunk and remove the lining and everything to gain access or is removing the bumper sufficient? If removing the bumper is all it takes, can I unscrew only the right side (I have sensors at the back now and I don't want to risk snapping the cables). Thanks in advanced!

Blue circles = white clips for removal?
Red = what I call fastener.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing rear bumper fastener-20140605_173113.jpg   Replacing rear bumper fastener-20140605_173125.jpg   Replacing rear bumper fastener-20140605_173450.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

That is the rear bumper side spacer. The spacer has hooks for the bumper cover.

The service manual doesn't show the instructions; but, from the parts diagram, it looks like you would remove the bumper cover. Then remove 1 or 2 self taping screws (most likely 2 screws, one on each end), and then pull the spacer out (the plastic clips should for the most part, come out with the spacer). Then to install the new one, push the spacer in (with clips already attached), then install the self taping screws.

It looks similar to what I had to do to replace a roof side trim on a CR-V before.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing rear bumper fastener-spacers-hooks.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
That is the rear bumper side spacer. The spacer has hooks for the bumper cover.

The service manual doesn't show the instructions; but, from the parts diagram, it looks like you would remove the bumper cover. Then remove 1 or 2 self taping screws (most likely 2 screws, one on each end), and then pull the spacer out (the plastic clips should for the most part, come out with the spacer). Then to install the new one, push the spacer in (with clips already attached), then install the self taping screws.

It looks similar to what I had to do to replace a roof side trim on a CR-V before.
Thanks for your reply. There are in total 4 white plastic clips that holds it. Only the top clip houses the self taping screws (from what I see on my car). Does it look like I should pull the white clips out in a outward direction?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Honda has like two styles of those types of clips.

1. One style of clips would require you to slide the piece off the clips (either to the left or up) after the screws are removed. The clips would still be on the car when you remove the piece.

Look at how the clips are attached to the spacer, if you should see a slot opening for each clip to slide off; then you would slide the spacer off the clips first. Take the spacer out of the bag and take some closer pictures of the spacer with the clips. That way I can see whether there are slots or not.

2. Another style of clips can just be pulled/pryed out with the piece still attached.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-06-2014 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Rearranged text for clarity.