General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Road Trip in 91 Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Question Road Trip in 91 Wagon

To start off: I'm not as skilled with car repair as I'd like to be. Pretty much zero experience. So, with that said:

I love my 91 Accord EX Station Wagon that I bought last year. It's got almost 170K on it, and although I don't have any of the previous owners' maintenance records, it seems to have been kept in mostly great repair. No leaks, only minor dings, and one new fender that doesn't match the other. I had the automatic transmission flushed since it looked like it hadn't been done in a long time, and that improved its somewhat rough shifting drastically.

So, the only troubles I've had with it are a clicking cv joint (I know I need to get that fixed asap) a leaking brake booster (already all fixed. That was a fun adventure) and some pretty bad shaking at idle, especially when I've got the ac on. Already replaced a couple bad engine mounts, and it improved the shaking but didn't entirely fix it.

So, my question: It looks like I'm going to be moving from the Boulder CO area to Atlanta GA sometime around September of this year, and I'd really like to have my car when I get there. Am I crazy for thinking I can drive the roughly 1500 miles in a 24 year old car? What kinds of things should I check that I might not be thinking of? I have a pretty tight budget, but there are also people who can help me out with repairs for cheap.

Advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Remove wheels and inspect brakes. Suggest flushing all brake lines w/ new fluid.

Check condition of all cooling line hoses looking for soft spots, suspect clamps (rusted clamp or split hose ends). If coolant has not been changed, replace coolant.

If battery is over 4 years old consider replacing. It may fail unexpectedly.

What about AC system. Clean condensor and inspect for leaks (oil/dirt accumulation at crimps, connections, compressor.

Tires? Inspect for defects and adequate tread depth.

Remove, inspect, and clean/replace intake air filter as indicated.

Inspect windshield wipers and replace as indicated.

good luck

Old 06-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have nothing critical to address prior to your move.

Just turn the key and drive after checking tire pressure / adequate tread depth and fluid levels a week before.
I just did a 2000 mile trip at high speed using my '92 with 239,000 on it. No issues. Doing a 900 miler tomorrow.
Fix things on your car after your 2nd paycheck at your new job - that's an assumption of a new job in Georgia.

The clicking on low speed turning does need to be addressed eventually, but CV joints are strong parts.
On one clicking car I drove it almost 20,000 miles before replacing it. If you can afford it get that fixed first - good and appropriate.
Otherwise ... you'll still make it to Georgia and be able to drive for the next months! My car's tomorrow trip will use a 5 1/2 yr old battery.

If you have a future travel concern you should join AAA now. Website - phone signup ...
AAA has 2 or 3 levels of emergency road service benefits depending on the state you joining from.
I join at the highest level available in the state and have used AAA for a Dodge, VW and couple motorcycles ... works reliably, and
the guys responding are professional, plus. Would be my strongest recommendation to you given your upcoming move and your stated mechanical knowledge.

Best.

Last edited by UhOh; 06-27-2015 at 01:36 AM.