General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle, surging under throttle, 1997 Accord 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM

@basketcase

The vacuum gauge measures psig. Difference between manifold vacuum and ambient.

@Both: I will re-check where the MAP sensor is. I was sure it was before the butterfly. If it is after the butterfly, then I have found a problem.

@PAHonda:

I removed the valve cover and checked timing. It is definitely mechanically timed correctly. Both cam sprocket marks at head edge, main pulley timing mark directly below 'V' gauge. The timing belt is in brand-new condition.

I have replaced the air filter and fuel filter. I have not changed the oil yet. The plugs are in brand-new condition (though fouled). The wires are in great shape.

I will report the injector resistor and other wiring you asked for tomorrow.

The car dumps fuel into the engine no matter the ECU condition... OPEN, Closed, even a mode called OPEN1 and OPEN2 (I assume different 'dumb' programs it 'runs to' when encountering strange inputs.)

I am tending to think something about the injector resistor, something which affects all 4 injectors.

I am avoiding driving the car both for the mileage and the wear that is happening on the CVs, mounts, etc when the car bucks and lugs at almost any driving input. I've lost about 50% interest in the car because it is not responding to me.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by bonafide
@basketcase

The vacuum gauge measures psig. Difference between manifold vacuum and ambient.
Right. My previous comment about vacuum concerned the units. Did you really mean psig? Or was that inches of mercury? Or kPa? It's real easy to get the units wrong and end up with the wrong results.

You mentioned you had 23 psig of vacuum. Whether that's gage pressure or absolute pressure, that's not a vacuum (i.e., not less than atmospheric pressure). Unless you have a turbo or blower that's producing boost, manifold pressure will be less than atmospheric (less than about 14.7 psi).

Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM

Symptoms have now changed. Well, no big deal, everyone has problems, this one won't be solved by technical expertise or troubleshooting. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by bonafide
Symptoms have now changed. Well, no big deal, everyone has problems, this one won't be solved by technical expertise or troubleshooting. Thanks.
You're not giving up on the car, are you?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 AM

I got a message about this thread and here is the reply I made:

One of the things wrong with my car was a missing o-ring around the MAP sensor. This caused fluctuating readings on the MAP and kept the car in open loop. The Honda ECU apparently doesn't like fluctuating readings and throws rich under these conditions.

Once I replace the o-ring, things got much better, but my car started deteriorating after that. My mileage at first went up to high 20s, then started decreasing. I finally got an analog vacuum gauge and hooked it up. I had fluctuating vacuum readings indicative of bad valve seals, cracked head, warped head, or blown head gasket. The car started blowing white smoke on startup. Mileage decreased.

I concluded the car had problems I did not want to deal with, so I sold it.

So the short answer is, a vacuum leak caused my first set of problems (the missing MAP o-ring), and then a more severe problem was compounded with it to cause a second set of problems.

Good luck with your car.

Missing o-ring around the MAP (what?). Replace that, more severe problems with the head/intake/gasket. Sold car. LOL