General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tranny Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Default Need Tranny Help

2001 Accord 4Cyl 2.3L Automatic about 230,XXX miles, owned since 180,XXX

FYI I have about zero experience and knowledge about cars....just what I've read here and in similar places.

Car was working fine until a few days ago when it suddenly downshifted while I was driving. On a semi rural highway during rush hour so I couldn't stop immediately. Got to a parking lot and turned the car off. Let it cool down. Started it back up and felt normal. Ran about a minute or two and it started shifting hard and revving like crazy right before shifts.
I couldn't have it looked at for a couple days so I used my other car. When I finally did check it, trans fluid was way overfilled and kinda dark but not burnt smelling. Called a mechanic friend of mine and he said flush the fluid but not the normal 3X flush. Flushed it just once because it seems like the previous owner did not do this even though he said he did(and I've read that complete flushes on tranny's not used to flushes can damage them even more).
Oh, and the CEL was on with code P1750.
SO I flushed the oil and it stopped shifting and over revving...BUT! CEL was still on and, when at a complete stop or near stop, it will slip into neutral. It doesn't do this cold, just after it hits normal driving temperature.
Did some research on P1750 and found that sometimes it could be the Solenoid or whatever. I tried to do the tests on it but I just couldn't get it off the car. I don't know if removing it requires removing the tranny from the car but I couldn't do it.
On a different note, I took the battery out to get a better look at the solenoid(which was a failure) and ended up resetting the CEL. That was last night, now it hasn't come back on but it still jerks forward from complete stops. Very similar to the feeling of "popping" trick to peel out when you rev in neutral and drop it into gear.
Is this the beginning of the end for my car's tranny or is there something I can do to fix it?????

Last edited by wmedina2772; 06-06-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to add auto trans
Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

The trans does not have to come out to get to the solenoids (clutch pressure a & b). You can try removing - replace if you are up to it - and cleaning them.

The auto trans in this gen are not that good...so it is hard to say if this is a sign of the end?

Attached Thumbnails Need Tranny Help-6th-gen-trans-solenoids-4-cyl.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the attachment, now I'm 100% sure I was trying to remove the right part. Haha

Update: since my original post I went and spoke with my buddy at his mechanic shop and he said it'd be best to just switch out the tranny/rebuild it but that in his experience with Hondas and transmissions I could drive it like this is I didn't care for another four months or so. I probably won't.
Since then I've had the CEL come on for my catalytic converter and two other things: P0720 - Countershaft Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction and P1739(Problem in 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit). When the CEL did come on, my D4 light did start flashing. A quick restart of the car and no more D4 flash but still tranny problems.
Personally, I'd like to just switch the solenoids and whatever else I have to that the CEL is telling me, but it'd probably cost just as much to get my tranny rebuilt with my buddy. I haven't looked around at prices just yet in my area but I think I'll be doing that tomorrow and taking my car in tomorrow or Tuesday. Will post results I guess.