General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"s" light problmem 91 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Question "s" light problmem 91 honda accord

Hi Everyone

Thanks for creating this Help Site!! Car problems can cost so much and it is good to try and be a bit educated.....esp.....when you are female!!

New here.....looking for help with "s" Light problem. Can't afford high hourly rates here in NCalifornia for finding out what is causing it. This has happened several times and two times I have had components replaced on the TCU.....(I think that is what they called it)........This car was one of the ones that had a problem(the ones from the plant in Georgia).......not sure what is going on. I will check and see if the cruise control is working.....I am new here and I tried to search the posts about the "s" light and didn't find a lot.....maybe I wasn't searching right. I am in a rush now but will check back later.....any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Ann

Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

This belongs in General Tech, so I'll move it. I'm no auto-tranny guru, so hopefully someone will see this.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

The S light flashing means that the transmission control unit (TCU) has detected a problem and stored a code.

You need to find out that code to identify the problem with your car. All you need is a thin paper clip to do this. There is a blue two pin connector that your short, turn the key to the II position, then count the LED flashes on the TCU to get the code.

See http://techauto.awardspace.com/dtc.html

Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
juando
Unregistered

91 accord "s" light problems also.
Usually starts when cold but after a thorough warm-up,will not start....fire if "s" light is blinking prior to turning ignition key to start position. Usually have to wait till it cools again to start, very frustrating!!!! Also will start sometimes then "s" light starts blinking but tranny slips in all forward positions but ok in reverse. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. BTW cruise hasn't worked in a while either, not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, just thought it might help w/ a diagnosis.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

get the code via the method mentioned in my first post.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM
juando
Unregistered
Thumbs up

Thanks PA,
I'll try that when I get home and let you know what I get for a code. I appreciate the help.
Juan