General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to drive with condenser fan unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Default Safe to drive with condenser fan unplugged?

hey so i posted about my radiator fan not turning off... not knowing it was my condenser fan that was actually what i was seeing ...
newb mistake i know.. but i was wondering if its safe to just unplug the power,

(the two heavy coated wires that connect to the fan motor on the right side of the radiator)

and drive my car with the condenser fan off till i can get it in and have a shop look at it eventually? or will this make my cooling system have problems?

also is my radiator fan (the one on the left side) supposed to run anytime the car is on? or just when its really hot?
are the power supply for the condenser fan and radiator fan linked? or seperate?

all advice or suggestions are welcome....

Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Safe to drive with condenser fan unplugged?

The fans turn on only when the car heats above a certain temperature. The fans get their power source from different relays.

There is enough air flowing through the radiator to cool the radiator when you are driving. When you come to a stop, you would need to keep an eye on your temperature gauge. Turning on the heater in your car full blast will help cool the car too.

I am rereading your original post to see if I can give you some pointers on the condenser fan problem and will post on that thread. The system is not very complicated.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 AM

I would say it's probably ok to drive without the condenser fan, you could check the functionality of the cooling system first.

To do that, (after you unplug the condenser fan) :

1- start the car
2- unplug the temp switch A (the one on the thermostat and that i circled in blue in a previous post).
3- short the connector of this switch using a paper clip, the radiator fan should start.
4- remove the paper clip and put that connector back where it belongs.
5- unplug the temp switch B (the one on the upper rad hose and that i circled in red in a previous post)
6- short the connector of this switch using a paper clip, the radiator fan should not start yet.
7- Turn off the ignition, the fan should start now.
8- put everything back

If everything works as i described here, then you're probably fine, otherwise, you can still drive but keep an eye on the temp as PAhonda said.
good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM

went through the test series you suggested and everything seems to be working like you said with the condenser fan unplugged so i will leave it undone and watch my temp. gauge...

is it ok to leave the fuse that controls that fan plugged in with the fan unplugged? or should i just remove that as well?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Just pull the fuse so the connector does not have the opportunity to short to ground.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Which fuse do you want to remove ?
I believe there is only 1 condenser fan relay on the right hand side of the radiator as shown on the drawing i posted for you before.
The relay on the underhood fusebox would disable the other fan (radiator fan), so be careful.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18533/B63A70824B2A4F6EB9EACB4A296716BA.jpg[/IMG]