General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shake when accelerating and driveing 35 and up

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Default shake when accelerating and driveing 35 and up

Its a 96 accord ex 2.2 160xxx miles. Just bought the car a month ago with this problem thing wheel bearings but I replace wheel bearings d&p CV axle boots were ripped on both axles so went ahead and replace both axles and lower ball joints on both sides and didn't fix the problem so I bought a intermediate shaft and still does it I'm lost at this point! O and had all 4 wheels balanced and aligned!!!!! Help please!!!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to General Tech.

Auto or manual trans?

Does this happen all the time or only once the car is at op temp? Does the same thing happen when speeding up "hard"....say getting on an on ramp to the interstate and you "hammer the gas".

Are the other normal tune up items up to date - cap, rotor, plugs, ect.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

I had a similar issue with my 2001 Accord after I bought it used with 114,000 on the clock; narrowed it down to either bad axles or a slipped belt in one or more tires.

In my case, it turned out to be tires; the car, with 147,000 now on the clock, is still running the factory axles and the ride is now as smooth as can be regardless of speed or how much power is being generaged.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Balancing doesn't always do it if the belts are slipping. That's tire damage requiring new tires. Unless they're close to being worn out, you don't want to toss them on a guess.

Rotate your tires & try again. Does the shaking move to the rear of the car? Does it get less severe? Slipped belts can act much worse when applying power (front wheels) so if the other tires (on the rear now) are OK, then it'll improve when you rotate them. Better yet if you have another set (summer/winter tires?).

Many times you can catch bad belts with a road-force balancing machine. Look for a tire shop with a Hunter GSP9700 balancing machine.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Balancing doesn't always do it if the belts are slipping. That's tire damage requiring new tires. Unless they're close to being worn out, you don't want to toss them on a guess.

Rotate your tires & try again. Does the shaking move to the rear of the car? Does it get less severe? Slipped belts can act much worse when applying power (front wheels) so if the other tires (on the rear now) are OK, then it'll improve when you rotate them. Better yet if you have another set (summer/winter tires?).

Many times you can catch bad belts with a road-force balancing machine. Look for a tire shop with a Hunter GSP9700 balancing machine.
Even road-force balancing didn't help the crappy Mastercraft tires which were on my car when I bought it used; I ended up dealing with the shake, which wasn't too bad at steady freeway speeds, until the tires were about used up (probaby about 6,000 miles). Even then I only bought a super cheap set to replace them with just to be on the safe side.

The good news is those cheap tires proved it was a tire issue causing the shake, so I lived with them for about 20,000 miles even though they had poor traction (especially in snow), imbued the car with poor handling and poor directional stability, and were quite noisy. About a month or so ago I had a new set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s and what a transformation; handling and directional stability are hugely improved, and the interior is now so quiet it's hard to believe I'm driving the same car.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I meant that balancing machine can probably tell whether the tire is bad or not. Didn't mean that could fix a bad tire.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM

I've rotated tires front to back and still nothing. Wheels and tires are supposedly 5 months old they are bridgestones. Its a 5 speed. The harder u accelerate the more intense the shake it. But yes it shakes at operating temp or from a cold start. My next step I'm Goin to try this weekend is some et lugs and the plastic adapter that goes in the hub of the rim for aftermarket tires. They are 17x8 3/4 xxrs

Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Are you saying you have aftermarket wheels and you're *not* using a hub ring? If so, and if the center hole of the wheels is larger than the hub flange (very common), then you're just asking for a shake.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM

I'm going to give it a try and will up date sat on if it fixes my problem thanks for yalls help and suggestions