General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Gear Knob Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Default Shift Gear **** Stuck

I wasn't sure which category this pertains to, so i'll put it here. WhenI turn mycar on and try toshift into "Drive" I very often now find that I can't move stick and the button or **** that is on the top part of the stick is stuckand I end up having to use my spare key to unlock the stick and that's how I shift now. This is now getting on my nerves and I have no idea why it happens.

Now this may or may not be connected to it. But, Shifting from "R" to "P" and visrversa is really hard. I've had my accord for 2 years, obviously I bought it used, I don't know what the trasnmission oil situation is. I don't know how to check it either. I appreciate any help I can get. Please when answering use plain english and avoid technicalities, I'm a computer guy and I'm only now barely getting into auto mechanics, but still can't tell what's what very often. thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Default RE: Shift Gear **** Stuck

Dipstick is located on the right front of the transaxle housing, near or beneath the battery. The dipstick will either be a threaded fit(need to unscrew it) or a small dipstick similar to an engine oil dipstick. If your is a threaded dipstick, do not screw it back in to check the fluid level. Unscrew it, pull it out, clean it off, put it back in without screwing it in, pull it back out and observe the level.
Here are some pics:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/CB9BFBF012B24BB7A0E2EE6A650BF60B.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/B9F7F00BC77441B1AE2129856C3D545A.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM

The Park selector problem is usually the brake light switch.
I'm not sure, but it might also have something to do with the brake lights themselves, i.e., current draw in the circuit.

Have someone stand behind your car while you press the brake pedal. No lights? Bad switch. Some lights? Bad bulb(s).

My money is on the switch though. I was at the local Napa the other day and someone came in and wanted a brake pedal switch, for a Honda. Guess they are a common failure.

Good Luck, and please post what fixes it. I might be in the same situation myself some day...

Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 PM

That is the most common reason for it. Or the release switch iteslf in the gear selector gets dirty from dirt and drinks spilling. If the brake lights work fine and you are prone to having beverages in your car and have spilled a few then I'd take the center console apart and check that switch....

Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM

ok Now I'm truly confused with the first answe and diagrams. all my brake lights work fine. except that i usually get the "break lamp" indicator light on, but I'm told thats cause the light that illuminates my rear plate went out. but what does the brake light have to do with me not being able to shift from park to drive when i start the car? how do i fix it, or how much will they charge me?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

How brake lights & tranny are related...
The car is supposed to NOT allow you to shift out of "P" unless you're pressing the brake. This interlock system uses the brake lamp circuit, so if that's flaky you'll be stuck in "P".

It's possible, but less likely, that the interlock system is broken at the solenoid latch down at the base of the shift lever. I mention this since you say your brake lamps work OK. That's one reason why we ask specific questions...

Usually that has nothing to do with shifting INTO "P". If that's the case, look for gunk spilled into the shift lever area, or maybe farbed-up cable from there to the tranny itself.

Brake LAMP warning...
This measures the current drawn by the various lamps on the BRAKE circuit. Not the license plate illumination, or the phases of the moon. If any of those lamp sockets are dirty or corroded, or the bulbs are different wattage, it can trip that warning.