General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I breakup or makeup ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Default Should I breakup or makeup ?

Ok...I need advice.
Should I keep my 1997 Honda Accord with 220K ..and pay 2400 for a new transmission?
I just spend $700 on repairs..battery...brake lines...light bulb..oil change...ignition...inspection...
Over the last 7 years I have replaced plugs/wires/hoses/radiator/fan/catalytic converter,water pump, thermostat,oil pan, (also struts/bearings or axles one of these I can't remember)...and basic brakes/pads but most of this about 6 or 7 years ago... about half the mileage ago.
I need a new trans and suspect I will really also eventually or sooner or later need a new cat because it was giving those codes before but wrer cleared and now I am getting trans codes...
I am not a mechanic and love my Honda but am using it as a second around the town car now...Is it worth it financially to put a new trans/ need axles too I was told?
All things considered I worry that once I do this something else will go....( all of the above listed repairs were done half the mileage ago)...
Also ...I asked the mechanic if he would buy it from me and he said he would give me $600 for it if I did not want to put the trans in....Is that a fair price the car is clean?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Default Should I breakup or makeup ?

To clarify: 1997 Honda Accord SE 4 cylinder 220K miles

Ok...I need advice.
Should I keep my 1997 Honda Accord with 220K ..and pay 2400 for a new transmission?
I just spend $700 on repairs..battery...brake lines...light bulb..oil change...ignition...inspection...
Over the last 7 years I have replaced plugs/wires/hoses/radiator/fan/catalytic converter,water pump, thermostat,oil pan, (also struts/bearings or axles one of these I can't remember)...and basic brakes/pads but most of this about 6 or 7 years ago... about half the mileage ago.
I need a new trans and suspect I will really also eventually or sooner or later need a new cat because it was giving those codes before but wrer cleared and now I am getting trans codes...
I am not a mechanic and love my Honda but am using it as a second around the town car now...Is it worth it financially to put a new trans/ need axles too I was told?
All things considered I worry that once I do this something else will go....( all of the above listed repairs were done half the mileage ago)...
Also ...I asked the mechanic if he would buy it from me and he said he would give me $600 for it if I did not want to put the trans in....Is that a fair price the car is clean?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'd suggest shopping around for the transmission; I've seen remanufactured units for as little as $700 and what are dubbed as being "superior to the original product" for closer to $1,000; I'm having a difficult time believing someone is going to charge you between $1,400 and $1,700 for labor to swap the tranny out.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Thank you. I will shop around. This shop quoted me to rebuilt the one that was in the car. The price of $2200 ( 12 months 1 year warranty) was given to me by the mechanic/owner- he said he would also replace the axles too- I would just pay for the parts. I called around prior and everyone was in the same ballpark except one garage that quoted me $4800 to replace the trans.with a new rebuilt one( they were a former Cottman turned private garage.) I am in the Tri state region of PA/DE/NJ...Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM

Ok have been having issues with my car since my above posting and not really driving it much. I can't believe it is the trans maybe I am I denial.
I started having the issue after the mechanic added a quart of trans fluid because when I had it inspected he said it was low. I noticed the acr ran differently on the way home. I never really thought about it until now and I am wondering if there could be a connection. I am sure he did not use Honda trans fluid if it matters. He is a mechanic that has treatd me fairly in recent years and has not really replaced much on the car. ( other shops did though). The engine light was on before an he told me it was a catalytic converter. Another shop todl me it was the trans. I am afraid to drive it because it goes slow and does not want to go over 15 miles without sounding bad and I drove it to get gas today and one time I hear a click like the sound a wind shield wiper makes- I just heard it once. I have to decide what to do since i am paying insurance adn it is just sitting. ANY ideas? Do you think a draining of the trans fluid ( not blowing the fluid out just draining could help and then replace with non-brand fluid and then do it again with Honda trns fluid if the frist try seems to help? I rea onlien that may help a little? Could it be a belt or gear shift thing..it does nto get stuck in one gear ( yet).
Coudl it just be the catlytic converter not hte transmission?
I just can't believe that the trns woudlk change overnight like it did.

I want to keep my 1997 Honda Accord with 220K but at two shops the quote was 2400 to "rebuild the trans. $4200 to put a new one in at Cottman. I am in PA

Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get the actual code and tell us what is is. Many parts stores will do this for free, again get the code and not "their" decription.....it will begin with "P" and then four digits.