General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I buy it? (96 EX Coupe) - details within...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Default RE: Should I buy it? (96 EX Coupe) - details within...

Bought the exact car a year ago for my daughter....spent more than what you did for sure! Sounds like you got a good deal. I would change the tranny fluid, it isn't that hard to do . Get the Honda kind for the amount you will need it isn't that bad costwise. it is good that you can refer back to the owner, since he doesn't live too far away. May ask him when or if the timing belt was changed out last. The noise you spoke of is probably the starter, i notice since I changed out same last year, if you barely turn the key when starting it doesn't make noise...if you turn key and hold barely after engaging it makes noise. Probably need a shim of some type .. I just told my daughter to start it like I do and it won't make the noise. What I like about these cars is there is a lot of competition on prices of replacement items due to the amount of vehicles out there. You can get good deals on parts if you look on the internet. Buy a repair manual for 15 bucks. It will be a valuable tool for you. They aren't that bad to work on for the most part. You can farm out the hard technical stuff and still have fun piddling. Good luck. [8D]

Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the adjustment for the powre steering belt is right under the power steering pump, which is the accessory on the very top.

below it there are 2 10mm bolts, the one on the left is the adjustment bolt, turn it clockwise to tighten that particular belt. dont be worried if you are turning it alot and not much is happening, that screw has a very fine thread to it so it takes many turns to get it tight. just keep checking the tension of the belt. you should be able to push the middle of the belt down about 1 cm.

second adjustment is for the alternator/ a/c belt. and this is probably the belt that is loose.

the adjustment is located right under the alternator, which is the second to top accessory, you can see the electrical windings inside of it when you look at it.

under it....again 2 10mm bolts, the left being the adjustment bolt, and it has the same fine thread that the power steering belt has.

now usually both these bolts turn no problem on their own, but if the mounting bolts for the alternator and powersteering are very tight they will need to be loosened a little. each accessory has two bolts that mount it, one on top of the accessory and one below, the bolt that is below the alternator is a little hard to view. it is best to move the cruise control actuator out of the way to gain access to it, but i bet you will be able to adjust the belts without loosening anything. good luck feel free to ask any questions.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:29 AM

now usually both these bolts turn no problem on their own, but if the mounting bolts for the alternator and powersteering are very tight they will need to be loosened a little. each accessory has two bolts that mount it, one on top of the accessory and one below, the bolt that is below the alternator is a little hard to view. it is best to move the cruise control actuator out of the way to gain access to it, but i bet you will be able to adjust the belts without loosening anything. good luck feel free to ask any questions.
Well, I happened to have tried adjusting the power steering pump bolt last night after changing the oil. I tightened and tightened and the belt wouldn't seem to get any tighter... until... SNAP!... the head of the adjustment bolt snapped right off. I was a little irritated, but started digging in my tool bag and just happened to find a bolt with the exact thread pattern. I don't have any idea where that particular bolt came from... but at 11:00 at night I was definitely glad to find it. It has an allen-type head on it, but I don't really care... it replaced the one I busted so that was all that mattered. Funny thing is, the startup squeal didn't manifest itself a single time today. In fact, tonight my wife and I went by Advance Auto on the way home from our birth class (baby on the way) and I picked up some Wearever Gold brake pads and a small hydraulic floor jack (didn't have one and needed it anyway... it was only 19 bucks). Lightshow, I know you mentioned the Duralast pads being good budget pads, but squeak... Auto Zone closes at 8:00 and Advance closes at 9:00... so I had to go there. I couldn't wait any longer because of the screech screech I was hearing from the front left brake... and yes, changing them was an absolute piece of cake. I'm glad I did, because the old ones were worn almost to the backing. The thing is, I forgot to remove some of the brake fluid before pushing the second caliper in (it was almost down to the MIN mark on the reservoir anyway) and it regurgitated fluid out onto the concrete. I went ahead and pulled off the excess fluid to bring it down to MAX and tried to clean it up the best I could. I took it for a test drive and HOLY COW what a difference... smooth as silk and NO shimmy in the front end...

I noticed on the passenger side that one of the axle boots has split... I was hoping I wouldn't find that... but oh well. The joint is still good and wet with grease so I'm gonna just drive it for a while for now. I called one place today (not a dealer) to price the timing belt service (timing belt, tensioner belt, gasket retainer, water pump, and valve cover gasket)... it came out to be $528... I think I'm going to call around and see if I can find a lower price... I REALLY don't want to spend that much right now... especially right after buying it.

Nathan

Old 04-11-2006, 01:50 PM

They make CV boots that are split so you don't have to remove anything. Just slice off the old one and put the new boot on I think they are like $15.00 and I know that Checker Auto Parts used to sell them... fix that one it's quick, easy and cheap.... As far as the timing belt etc goes find out a price cost on just parts and I'll e-mail you the service manual so you can do it yourself... You already know how to remove most of the belts that are in the way and it sounds like you've got a pretty good mechanical understanding/common sense I'd say go for it yourself if you have the time... there's a LOT of people on here who will help walk you through it

Old 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

They make CV boots that are split so you don't have to remove anything. Just slice off the old one and put the new boot on I think they are like $15.00 and I know that Checker Auto Parts used to sell them... fix that one it's quick, easy and cheap.... As far as the timing belt etc goes find out a price cost on just parts and I'll e-mail you the service manual so you can do it yourself... You already know how to remove most of the belts that are in the way and it sounds like you've got a pretty good mechanical understanding/common sense I'd say go for it yourself if you have the time... there's a LOT of people on here who will help walk you through it
That makes me feel better about the boots... I didn't know that. I will definitely check into it. In fact, I think I'm going to try the timing belt replacement too. I'll have to do it when I have a full day to work on it so i can take my time, but I think I could probably do it. Especially with this knowledge base... you guys are great. I'm just ready to get this neglected maintenance behind me so I can start the fun stuff... the "build-up". [8D]

Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 AM

I have a 1996 EX-L 4 door sedan with 178,000 miles on it. I bought my car in August from the Honda Dealer here in Daytona Beach, here's what I had to have replaced so far. Oxygen sensor, tires, muffler, rear left power door lock motor. I love my car its the beige with the leatehr interior the EX-L.
Mine was a one owner that took car of the car, the leather looks brand new still.

Good Luck with yours.