General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I junk my '87 Accord or save it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Default Should I junk my '87 Accord or save it?

Hi, Everyone. I am new to this forum. Thank you for having me in.

I have been driving a four-door 1987 Accord LE four-cylinder sedan for the past four years. I really love this car. A couple weeks ago, it blew a head gasket. It is the original engine, with 227,000 miles on it.

Is this a repair a home mechanic can do himself? If so, where might I find a book or instructions on this? I have a very good mechanical aptitude, have worked on cars for years, and have all the basic tools I need. Are there any special tools I would need for this job?

My mechanic also said one cylinder is weak. Is there a way to do rings, pistons, cylinder and head on this engine and still keep the engine in the car?

You can tell me I'm a total loon for even thinking this. I'm trying to save money, but I also love this car and don't want to let it go.

Thank You.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

A headgasket isn't a terrible job for someone with mechanical aptitude. But from the way you are making it sound you will need more than that.

If you need new pistons and rings, then you are going to need some machine work done as well, so no you wouldn't be able to keep it in a car. You are also talking a ton of money with this route, and I am not sure where you would get pistons for that engine.

Have you checked junkyards for a replacement engine? I imagine it would only be a few hundred dollars and could keep the car on the road for some time.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm all for saving it.....of course I like the 3rd gens.

My only question is about the weak cyl.....if the head gasket is blown, well more than one is going to be weak.

I'm guessing you were told this before the gasket went, do you remember the readings?

Last, in the Common DIY Threads sticky at the top of this section there is a link to a manual you can download.......

Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Be minimal, why not just replace the headgasket?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Default Thanks and some thoughts

Thanks to everyone for responding. Here are my individual responses back:

live2rice:
I am in Los Angeles, and I'm sure I can find a used engine for a reasonable price. It is of course a crapshoot. Does anyone know of a particularly reputable salvage yard in my area (I'm near Sun Valley, where all the junkyards are) that is reputable and will stand behind their merchandise. Also, when you say a "ton" of money, how much exactly? In excess of $1000? $2000?

poorman212:
Don't know the compression reading on the bad cylinder until after the gasket went. He said it had probably been that way for a while.

Uhoh:
I like this idea of just doing the head gasket, which I can do myself and keep the engine in the car. Could weak compression just be a function of the head, gasket and valves and possibly not involve rings and cylinders? In other words, could I just have the head machined and a valve job done, and then reinstall all this stuff and get down the road a bit?

Another thought:
I have thinking of perhaps buying a second identical car with a running engine and just use this second one as a parts car. The reason is, I have a good solid A/C and tranny, and everything else is running too. Has anyone else done this, and is this another possible sound option?

THANKS!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

You've got a few miles on it, but not a ridiculous amount, the bottom end is probably ok. And yes, low compression can be valve related. The car is probably worth 1200 bucks, that's what a shop would charge for the head gasket valve job, and they probably would go the route of belts, hoses, radiator (cause of overheat?) t-stat, oil change, waterpump, timing belt etc...
Probably cost you a few hundred in parts and machine shop labor. This is the best option based on the info you've provided...in my opinion of course.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

I would say yes to rebuild your engine, particularly the bottom end you are looking at a minimum of $1,000

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scottmemmer
poorman212:
Don't know the compression reading on the bad cylinder until after the gasket went. He said it had probably been that way for a while.
Put a new head gasket on it and call it a day?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you might end up putting more money into try to fix it than the car is worth ..