General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I repair or junk my accord 2005 hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Default Should I repair or junk my accord 2005 hybrid

Hello,
I have a honda accord hybrid 2005. A couple of week ago, I drove my car into wet area that's deep enough to kill the engine. Although the water did not reach the floor, the carpet on the right side still got wet. I took the car to a Honda dealer and they quote me appr. $6k for replacing the engine only. But they are not sure about other things like the IMA battery etc. It's weird to me that they suspect the IMA battery may died while that battery sits just right behind the rear seat (in the trunk). I'd like to ask for your opinion whether I should fix my car or not. Btw, can I sell the car to any mechanics with a dirty cheap price? Thanks

Old 10-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

What did they say was wrong with your car? You may want to take it to another shop or dealership to get another quote.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What did they say was wrong with your car? You may want to take it to another shop or dealership to get another quote.
Thank you for replying me. They just said the water got into the engine. Because I was driving (slowly) in a submerged parking lot and the car stopped immediately, I guess the water got into the engine through the exhaustion and cause a hydrolock. The thing I am not sure is whether the engine is fixable or not.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Does it crank?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Any water that got in would have had to have gone through the intake system. If it did make it to the cylinders, it could have done severe damage, but like others state, I would remove the plugs and see if the engine turns over with the starter.

Loud severe sounds would indicate you did break a rod, I've even seen holes punched through the block of some engines where water got into the intake and then the people tried to restart the engine by having it towed and reengaging the clutch (manual transmission of course), but this is pretty rare and in that case a real bone headed thing. It's possible the damage was done immediately, but I suspect in that case it was the result of repeatedly attempting to turn over a hydro-locked engine.