General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shuddering at takeoff

Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Kens PS
Unregistered
Default Shuddering at takeoff

I have a 90 Accord Ex Auto with 212k on the clock. When starting off normal, it has a shuddering feeling untill it gets up to about 15-20mph and it goes away. Any speed above that it runs great. Pulled plugs and were wet with oil. Changed the seals, put in new plugs, and now today changed the plug wires and it is still doing it? More agressive throttle at takeoff doesn't do it, but if you power brake it it really does it bigtime.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Is the check engine light coming on at all? If so, check for codes.

Here are some maintenance items that may or may not help. Replace distributor cap and rotor if they are due or worn.

Clean the throttle plate (both sides) and the bore using throttle body cleaner with an old toothbrush. Clean out screen on the idle air control valve (IAC or EACV) with throttle body cleaner.

Check for oil in the spark plug tubes in a few days to verify you corrected the problem.

Maybe clean out EGR ports. Plugged ports can cause a stumble in the 1700 to 2200 rpm range.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

Oil in the spark plugs can cause some acceleration issues, as i have the same problem right now, make sure you valve cover gasket screws are not screwed too tight. If there is a CEL it could be a missfire, if not check you injectors make sure they are not clogged and possibley chech you EGR ports ( i dont know if 90s have them).

Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Kens PS
Unregistered

I do ocasionally have a blinking cel, right after the speedo drops to zero running the road, then the sport mode light begins to flash as well. Turn the car off and restart, those things disapear and light turns off? Friend thinks that part of it is a bad speed sensor.

I appreciate the suggestions that you both made, but have no idea where to look and how to do those things, but if you have any links to the details of those jobs with pictures on what to look for, I think I may be able to figure it out.
Thanks Kenny

Old 09-26-2009, 10:50 AM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp

Just select yr, and trim they have some great diagrams.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

That last post is more revealing of the problem. You need to check your cel codes.

To check for error codes, short a blue two-pin connector with a paperclip that is near the passenger side kick panel. Then count the flashes on the ECU LED.

I would suggest picking up a haynes manual from an parts store for your car. It will give you basic instructions on how to do procedures.